Daffodil and adding dirt to bed

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a large and mostly unused flower box that I can start working on now that the new windows are in and I have a daffodil question.

There are currently daffies in the box. Don't know how long they've been there, they came with the house. I really need to add another 6-8 inches of soil because it has really settled. So, my garden gurus, do I a) dig up the bed and replant the bulbs in the new stuff, or b) cover them up with more dirt, or c) wait for a different time of year. Have to admit, I don't like option C, because I'd really like to get this planted in the spring. But if one must have patience....

6476_006a.jpg

6476_008.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there,

You asked this question at the most perfect time. Daffs will sometimes show themselves early and since window boxes warm fast I am shocked yours are not peeking their heads up already.

Since you do not know how long ago these were placed there they may have multiplied where they really need to be divided anyways. So just dig them up and do with them as you wish.

Refresh the soil, but I would still use what is originally there but mix it will new soil. Then either replant the bulbs and any extras move to a new bed, or move them all to a new location. The Daffs are great because they do their stuff when other things are not even prepared to be out there, and then the annuals and such you want can be placed right on top without any harm!

I cannot wait to see your pretty Daffodil faces this coming Spring.

Don't forget to feed them with some bonemeal! They will love you for that.

Ron :watering

edited to add: Wow, I missed the pictures as I was typing. Those are literally raised beds in my opinion. I was thinking you had Window boxes! LOL Well, at least these beds will be cool enough to prevent any early blooming to occur. I love those. You might consider digging all the soil out of those beds and then lining the edge along the insides with a moisture barrier. I would hate to think that is why the soil level is low because the previous folks were trying not to create too much moisture along the wall side of the house.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is a very nice bed. You must be able to have such a petty display.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i would plunder through that thing and toss any daffodil bulbs you find over to the side. then put in some new soil, maybe stir it up a bit and replant the daffs if you want them back in there. fall is the time for planting bulbs.

if you jsut cover them up you may get them too deep and they wont bloom. plus like Greens mentioned, they probably need dividing anyway.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Alrighty, then. Here we go, Operation Rehab Daffy Bed!

This spot has sooo much potential and I have been having a tough time leaving it alone until the window dude was through tromping in it. Now, let the games begin. :tools

I got some really neat wrought iron flower boxes at the local greenhouse this weekend for FREE!!!! So those will be going underneath the short window. I can see the pretties already. Drat this thing called winter that I have to get through first.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That spot is a massive place of potential!!! I am soooo jealous!!!

Yes, it is the perfect time of year to start pulling up bulbs and splitting them. I accidently moved some tulips this month already. Hopefully next year I will be able to pull up and split my daffodils too! Mine were just planted this year, and I only got green leaves and no flowers out of them.

I do think it is a great idea for you to pull them up add to the soil, replant, then maybe in the spring add annuals and perenials around them to cover that they were even there when their leaves start to die back. It would be lovely to see those daffs just 'vanish' in place of dozens of gorgeous season long varieties of plants.

If you need some seeds for the spring just let me know! I got some biannual foxglove, coneflowers... I try to keep and maintain native plants :)

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Okay, we really need a smilie portraying total exhaustion!

Operation Rehab Daffy Bed is done. :weee

Found tons of bulbs, unfortunately, I guillotined a bunch of them with the shovel. The survivors have all been bone mealed and replanted. Now we wait.

After all the roots I found in that box, it's a wonder that I don't have stuff growing through the walls of the house! Now I have to go clean up all the, um, stuff I chunked out on DH lawn. :hide

vfem, I'd love some seeds...the box gets part sun and stays fairly damp. Thank you.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertcat said:
Okay, we really need a smilie portraying total exhaustion!

Operation Rehab Daffy Bed is done. :weee

Found tons of bulbs, unfortunately, I guillotined a bunch of them with the shovel. The survivors have all been bone mealed and replanted. Now we wait.

After all the roots I found in that box, it's a wonder that I don't have stuff growing through the walls of the house! Now I have to go clean up all the, um, stuff I chunked out on DH lawn. :hide

vfem, I'd love some seeds...the box gets part sun and stays fairly damp. Thank you.
Gimme some time and I may have snap dragons, but the foxglove would be AWESOME there!

Latest posts