Dahlias sprouting - HELP!

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I decided to take my Dahlia tubers out of storage and didn't realize how much they had grown already. I never had this happen before, some of them have long white spindly stems that were reaching for light, some around 12". Do I plant them as is or should I break off the stems? Will they grow new ones if I do? Need some help on this one. Thanks in advance.

6475_100_0245.jpg

6475_100_0244.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think it is a big deal- my start to grow sometimes. I would just plant them. I think you should be able to put them in the ground. I am in zone 4, and plant mine in pots first in case we have weird weather. There are some dahlia experts here-I am sure they will chime in. Happy Gardening!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think Steve would know! He can help... though I wouldn't worry. ;)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year with Dahlia's so I got nothing but where is Steve?!

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I sent him a PM, hope he answers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry!

It looks like you used the approach I used to take: dig the tubers with a spading fork, put them in a box of autumn leaves and carry down stairs for the winter.

These days, only what appears to be good tubers are saved, dirt is removed, everything unnecessary is trimmed off, and they go in peat moss. Then I carry them down stairs for the winter.

Honestly, I don't think I gain anything from this other than having a lighter trip up and down the stairs. It seems that I have about the same number of viable tubers per plant, each year. A good many of questionable vitality are thrown away especially in the fall and some in the spring. There are many to give away.

Sprouts are fine. At least they let you know that you've got life in the tubers. It would be best if they don't break when you put them in the ground . . . but, if they do break, there are other eyes on those tubers that should grow.

I'm completely untrained. I just got some dahlias and began to carry them up and down stairs every year. That began about 20 years ago.

I think that you can make them work for you LVVCHAP. Or, is it that you can work for them :)?

Steve

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Steve

I did clean them up and inspect. The way I stored them might be the problem. I put them in a feed sack with wood shavings. I was the tubers on the bottom and in the middle that had the long sprouts. Should I store them with only one layer?
I'll try to remember to let you know of the out come

Wes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use shavings for the gladiolas and tried a few of the dahlias in them the last 2 years. They came thru the winter fine.

I think that it is just a matter of warmth, Wes. I have mine in plastic t-shirt bags in the peat moss. They are in 2 layers in the bags because they fit that way. I leave the bags, essentially, open thru the winter. The bags sit directly on a dirt floor in one small room of the basement.

I think that room was used for food storage 100 years ago when this house was built. It is separated from the rest of the basement but those rooms have the furnace and water heater so it is a little warm. I just feel lucky that the room is as suitable as it is.

I carried the dahlias out about 14 days ago and planted them because the sprouts were getting such a good start. The glads could have gone out sooner but I didn't have a place for them until about a week ago. Don't want these things too hard to handle.

Steve
edited to say: the storage room temperature will get well down in the 30's if we have a sustained period of sub-zero weather during the winter. Then it will run up around 50F during the spring. So, it isn't quite ideal.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I keep mine in the garage which is usually in the 40's - 50's What I might have to do next year is to have them in something that I can observe the growth a little easier.

Thanks again for the help.

Gardening books don't give you this kind of help. They only tell you how to do it right.