dahlias

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to save my dahlia tubers this year. I really like the varieties I got, but I have never tried to save them. I also want to try to save my elephant ears. I have read to let the plant start to die back, then cut it down and dig them up. Get most the dirt off and then let dry for a couple days before storing. Does this sound right? What is the best thing to store them in? I have pine shaving that I use for my pet rats and guinea pigs bedding or newspaper. My basement is warm, but I have a closet in the attic that stays chilly. That is where I plan on storing them. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a thread on here somewhere where I asked DigitS the same thing (he's a dahlia pro). Get the dahlias up before frost/freeze get them. Cut them way back and be gentle because pieces will break off easily and those will rot, so I wouldn't worry about getting too much of the dirt off. Let them air dry a couple days (not in the sun). Pack them in peat moss. I put mine in cardboard boxes or even plastic grocery bags. You don't want it airtight. Store in a cool, dark, dry place. Not sure about the elephant ears because I've never grown them, but it's probably similar.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have stored them in pine shavings and it seemed to work just fine. Still go back to the peat moss, however. It is great to have the peat moss for a soil amendment afterwards whereas pine shavings can be a problem in the garden soil.

Are you confident that your attic will not freeze, Anna?

Dahlias do better for me in my basement than potatoes or gladiolas, if that indicates anything. They must be able to take it a little warmer than those 2. I'm not sure what an average temperature is down there. The wood door between that room and the furnace only keeps so much warmth out but it has been as cold as 35F in that room when there have been several days when the afternoon highs didn't rise above zero.

Colorado State recommends 40 to 45 degrees F. Washington State says temperatures in the 40's. Ohio State says 40 to 55 degrees. Whatever the case, they cannot freeze.

Steve

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure the attic doesn't freeze, it's my bedroom. The basement here gets really warm. My attic closet is the coolest room in the house, other then the garage, but I think it would freeze out there.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dahlia tuber clusters can be divided into 2 to 6 or so pieces if you can make out where to cut using a very sharp smooth knife.
After cutting dash a bit of agricultural sulphur or clean wood ash on the cuts.

But ya have to know where to cut. If you wait until planting time to cut the tubers for multiplying, the places to slice are easier to make out, but you have to be very careful not to break those unopen buds. (seminal apical meristem buds). If in doubt, don't try splitting them unless you have an extra one or two to try it on first.

Basement is warmer than the attic. That is unusual a bit, but I lived at a place like that for awhile too, in Montana. Heaters, stoves, laundry, and the ground for insulation made it that way.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted about 1,200 tubers this year...going to start digging them up this week. I store mine in shavings as well and keep the temp. about 45 degrees. I'd rather be planting in warm Spring than digging in colder Fall. My best to all....

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I dig up my elephant ears and lay them on papers til they die back, then but the dead off and just store the bulbs. I've always been told to keep a few inches of the stem on dahlia and if tubers fall off they won't grow but not sure, I have no 45 degree place to store anything so I put things upstairs in my unheated converted attic (I cut the heat vent off) but once spring comes it warms up and things start to grow. LOL

Latest posts