Dahlias

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm new to the group and would love to talk to other Dahlia growers....Happy Holidays, Rusty

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Wecome Rusty! I don't know much about dahlias except that they're beautiful and come in such a glorious variety, but there's plenty of folks on here that can talk knowledgably with you about them!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you....I grew about 2,000 this Spring.....I guess it's not a hobby anymore.:lol:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Rusty, :frow and :welcome !

DigitS on here grows a lot of dahlias and would probably know more about them than most of us.

I grew a couple from seed this past year and saved the tubers for next year. I didn't think they turned out to be too hard to grow. So much variety in the world of dahlias. I want to invest in some dinner-plate dahlias next year just because they are really something else. I had mostly cactus and collarette dahilas this year. The mason bees sure do love them!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks journey, I think this year I planted 127 varieties...a little over 2,000 plants. I have 6 of my own creations...including the one I use as my Avatar.... I do have tubers for sale.....several (AA) Dinner plate size varieties. There are about 3,000 lbs. of labeled tubers in my basement. I was ready for therapy when the last were stored and labeled.:p Rusty

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Rusty, I'd be interested in growing some of your dahlias if you could provide a little more info on the buying aspect. Theres a spot for posting that sort of thing on here, it's the Exchange category. I'll keep an eye there in case you list...:D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow 2000 is a lot. I grew three. But they got lost in the bed and were overtaken by the marigolds. I was ok with it cause the merry golds did so well. I would try them again if they were just a bit less care. I need plants without maintance.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had Dahlias for 47 years....except a few years when I was in college or abroad. I also raise various herbs and perennials. And I just acquired my first Oleander and Plumeria plants...I love 'em!!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any key to keeping them? We dug them up last year, put them in bucket in basement, none of them came back. Some were left in garden, they didn't survive either.

Trying again.

Latest posts