Dahlias

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, Rusty and Steve, eat your hearts out!! :lol: I promised I would post a pic- so you guys could see how "mere mortals" grow dahlias. These are a very special variety- I call them "the purple and pink ones I bought at BJ's years ago". I have to say I do get a kick out of plants you can dig up and store for the winter (appeals to the cheap side of me!)

5947_rutabaga_005.jpg

5947_veggie_garden_004.jpg

rickdigschicks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all I've been stalking the board for a couple of months now and figured it was time I joined in on the conversations.

The Dahlias look great Lesa.

I was thinking of ordering some Dahlias and Bearded Iris' from American Meadows in Vt. They have a sale going on right now on
fall bulbs and tubers and I was wondering if the general consensus would be to wait until the spring to get the Dahlias or if I
should get them when they ship at the end of August? Then if I get them this year should I just pop them into a bin in the
basement until spring?

Rusty, Amazing looking Dahlias and thanks for sharing your story.

Rick

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa, Very nice plants...... Gotta love those Dahlias! You need to have a few other varieties too.....variety is the spice of life....:lol: My Dahlias are growing......some are just starting to show some buds......it's weird having a few hundred instead of a couple thousand. I'll post some photos later when I get some nice blooms. Also....Thanks Rick for the nice comments..... best to all, Rusty "Nonette"
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_086.jpg

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everyone......I thought I'd better post some new Dahlia photos from this year......here is another varigated variety called "Pippi".....
7566_dahlias_2011_005.jpg
This is a mutation off of Pippi...which I call "Apricot Pippi".....
7566_dahlias_2011_001.jpg
This is "Strawberry Ice"....
7566_dahlias_2011_010.jpg
This is "D-Day"....
7566_dahlias_2011_012.jpg
This is "Purple Taiheijo"....
7566_dahlias_2011_013.jpg
I've posted this variety before...but this was such a nice bloom this year...... "Kelvin Floodlight"....
7566_dahlias_2011_007.jpg

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Steve...... How are your dahlias doing? I just gave some Dahlias to a friend for her son and daughter in law to be's wedding...... Nice weather for now....I hope it continues so I can enjoy the Dahlias a little bit more......such a short growing season..... Your Dahlia buddy, Rusty

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty, my dahlia plants are a little smaller than last year. This is true with all the warm-season plants because of our record cool start to the growing season here.

They got a slow start but they are going great lately! We have had warm weather right up until yesterday. Things look a little uncertain down the road . . .

It always seems this way. The dahlias really get wound up during the last couple of weeks of the season. Then, the weather begins to cool and they slow until frost puts an end to things. Right now, they are attracting quite a bit of attention from the neighbors over the fence :cool:.

Steve

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I pretty much had the same weather as you.....cold spring....Hot Summer.....I just hope that now that the dahlias are blooming nice that the season goes a bit longer......and then after the first HARD frost.....I have to dig everything up.... This is "Park Princess".......I've had this variety for over 25 years.......short plants with beautiful pink cactus blooms.......
7566_dahlias_2011_011.jpg

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are a couple more photos of Dahlias from this year.......the first one is my own "Mackinac Island"....same variety that's in my Avatar......
7566_dahlias_2011_015.jpg
This other variety is ....."Gonzo Grape".....
7566_dahlias_2011_003.jpg

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had a pretty good frost....after the next "Hard" frost....I'm going to start digging Dahlia tubers.....what a job....I hope everyone else had a long enough season to enjoy their dahlias..... "Til next Spring! Rusty