Dandelion & Miners Lettuce Salad

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tonight I made a lovely salad with fresh dandelion greens and fresh miners lettuce greens. I grilled some chicken and made a vinaigrette to go with it. I also toasted some chopped onion and pecans to sprinkle on top! It was tasty!

Attachments

• IMG_20220330_194825867_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20220330_194825867_640x480.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 78

Trying2keepitReal

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tonight I made a lovely salad with fresh dandelion greens and fresh miners lettuce greens. I grilled some chicken and made a vinaigrette to go with it. I also toasted some chopped onion and pecans to sprinkle on top! It was tasty!
:drool:drool Yum.....i can't wait for our dandelions to come in, we haven't eaten the greens but we make some amazing jelly from the flowers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dahlia, I was uncertain about the miners lettuce so looked at the USDA plant database. Still uncertain if I've come across it ... the map shows that it is in WA (not ID ;)).

On the map, I clicked + several times until I was at the county level. Imagine my surprise when I see it noted in some eastern WA counties but not in western WA!

What I have read is that the USDA ID's are entirely dependent on the extension service. If you had a mind to, you could take a specimen into the Puyallup office and ask why they are missing miners lettuce ;).

Bradford Angiers says that it was very important for protecting CA 49ers from scurvy after they stampeded into the West looking for gold.

Steve
tolerant of the bitterness of escarole but not dandelions (and neither endive nor radicchio ;)). oh, and Chinese (prickly) lettuce is okay, too.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
someone mentioned to me the other day about pickling the flower buds. i'd not heard of that one before. :)

as a kid Mom was sent out to pick dandelion flowers to make dandelion wine.
I would love to taste that dandelion wine! How cool is that!? My grandma used to gather mushrooms for her family. She didn't make any mushroom wine though! :)

Latest posts