Dandelion Wine

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you stop the brewing process? With a campden tablet etc.?
No, total newbie here. A campden tablet? I thought when it stopped bubbling in the glass jug, it was done. The recipe I followed was real simple. So this will just keep working?

I strained my second batch and put back in the glass jug with a cloth over the top. It is still kinda cloudy, so what do I do now?

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm no expert! (for the record). Buuuut..

It's fine if it's bubbly, some peeps like that. But normally one stops the brewing process (with this tablet for example) before the racking process. This kills bacteria and stuff.

What are you straining with? I would sacrifice a bit of liquid normally, letting the wine settle and syphoning it off to another receptacle leaving the sediment at the bottom of the original.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bubbly wine, all is good, you just run the risk of exploding bottles while it ages, but since that didn't happen enjoy the bubbly.

1 gall just takes on campden tab to stop the fermenting.

I only strain on the first "filter" before I actually start fermenting, after that siphon. I do strain the sludge at the bottom, mostly as a taste test, it takes a few days in the fridge to strain it. Most fruit wines will get cloudy, that is what the racking is for,allow settle time and siphon until clear, some require a couple of rackings.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. What do you use for a siphon? And will it stop bubbling on it's own? I have a quart jar that I "tested" from and it didn't get bubbly, maybe because the top was not tight or I kept opening it for another "test run". LOL

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just got a small length (couple of feet) of plastic / rubber tubing from Lowes for like 30 cents or so.

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. What do you use for a siphon? And will it stop bubbling on it's own? I have a quart jar that I "tested" from and it didn't get bubbly, maybe because the top was not tight or I kept opening it for another "test run". LOL

A length of tubing, gravity fed. I'm good at it now, hardly swallow any of the wine first! ;) Kind of my 'test run'..

Yes it probably will eventually @baymule, depends on what is causing it to bubble. Excess yeast, excess sugar, bacteria etc.

Still'll drink it eh? Ha!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes it probably will eventually @baymule, depends on what is causing it to bubble. Excess yeast, excess sugar, bacteria etc.

Still'll drink it eh? Ha!

Well, now I feel obligated to drink this dandelion wine. Especially since it has been pointed out to me that the bottles might blow up. I was going to give some away for Christmas, but I can't be giving dandelion wine bombs to my family! So I just got a glass for me and DH.....we'll do our duty to keep the rest of the family safe from dandelion bombs....... :lol:

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have only ever had bottles blow when making champagne (because one doesn't stop the fermentation and I was not using strengthened bottles). It was quite a show!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, now I feel obligated to drink this dandelion wine. Especially since it has been pointed out to me that the bottles might blow up. I was going to give some away for Christmas, but I can't be giving dandelion wine bombs to my family! So I just got a glass for me and DH.....we'll do our duty to keep the rest of the family safe from dandelion bombs....... :lol:
:yuckyuck Someone has to make the sacrifice.

Latest posts