Dandelion Wine

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Kassaundra if you make wine, you have to start a thread about it!! That way we can all learn. Cherry wine? And you didn't post the recipe and tell us how you did it? :plbb Green tomato wine? Oh girl, you sure better tell us all about it!:thumbsup

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Baymule my DH and sons would find you an AMAZING lady. Only thing I shoot is a 22 at pop cans and rocks. (They better not move!) I think Michael saw the slant in your lettering that usually shows up in left handed writers. ;) By the way, what have you not made with Dandelions? You must have some BIG crop of the things there.

Yes exactly @Carol Dee! Nosey too.

I've been experimenting w/ some wine making lately too. My cherry wine turned out awesome. Next up is going to be green tomato wine.

Green tomato wine sounds wonderful. What a great way to use them.

@Kassaundra if you make wine, you have to start a thread about it!! That way we can all learn. Cherry wine? And you didn't post the recipe and tell us how you did it? :plbb Green tomato wine? Oh girl, you sure better tell us all about it!:thumbsup

I have 15 gallons of elderflower wine on the brew currently. Pics will follow when I rack :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, making another batch. I made a few changes, just for fun. The first batch is good, but has a slight bitter whang to it. I thought maybe the citrus zest.... so I left it out of this batch.

12 cups of dandelion petals
Juice from 2 oranges
Juice from 4 lemons
20 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon anise seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 8 ounce can pineapple chunks with the juice
4 quarts water
10 cups sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 package yeast

Then I am following directions from page one. Simmering now.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK, making another batch. I made a few changes, just for fun. The first batch is good, but has a slight bitter whang to it. I thought maybe the citrus zest.... so I left it out of this batch.

12 cups of dandelion petals
Juice from 2 oranges
Juice from 4 lemons
20 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon anise seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 8 ounce can pineapple chunks with the juice
4 quarts water
10 cups sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 package yeast

Then I am following directions from page one. Simmering now.
:caf Can't wait to here the difference.

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Racked a load of the Elderflower wine today. I have another 5 gallons in the white brewer and the two semi-john's at the back that are left to do. :)

Attachments

• wine.JPG
    wine.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 390

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have stayed out of all TEG discussions on wine making because my own experiences were so abysmal.

I never tried dandelion wine and, altho I could usually come up with a good apple cider, apple wine didn't turn out well. Neither did peary. The stores were full of grape wine.

My interest was mostly towards using garden produce but nothing ever sounded like it would be good. Peapod wine? Shoot. Well, I'm interested in green tomato, @Kassaundra !

@MIchael Hibberd , elderberry worked better than any. I only made a little - it always seems like I'm terribly busy when the berries are ripe.

I used to make pretty good beer but had to rely on the malt being made for me, someone else growing the Cascade hops, etc.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@MIchael Hibberd you make some serious wine! I just strained my second batch, a measly ONE gallon! :lol: Your display of multiple bottles and 5 gallons inspire me! That's a lot of elderflower picking! I have enough dandelions in the freezer for one more gallon batch, I can see I need more! The first batch is clear amber yellow now, pretty stuff!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need some help here, @Kassaundra and @MIchael Hibberd I just opened a bottle of my first dandelion wine and it went psssst. I poured some in two glasses for me and DH and it foamed! Then it had beads. Did I make dandelion beer or champagne? :lol: What did I do wrong? Whatever I did, it still tastes good!