Dang cat. I think it got one of my phoebes

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been watching a pair of black phoebes who seemed to be pairing up. They are friendly guys who don't fly till you're very close and don't seem to mind human comapany. This morning I found some feathers where a cat had caught a bird and I'm pretty sure it was one of my phoebes. The cat would have been welcome to all the sparrows it wanted.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had several serious discussions with my herd of cats. We do NOT eat the red ones or the yellow ones and most ESPECIALLY not the blue ones! The grey ones (doves) and little brown stripey ones (sparrows) however, are fair game. They stalk the birds but mostly catch and eat the lizards and occasional snake.

I have two bluebird boxes with babies and have the calendar marked for kitty incarceration while they fledge.

Sorry yours got eaten. :(

-Wendy

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bummer!

Unknown.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think i have a pair of something similar to those. they love the protection of the blackberry brambles and my huge forsythia this time of year. too bad those brambles are getting cut out :/ and the forsythia is getting divided and moved to the side of the property.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i think i have a pair of something similar to those. they love the protection of the blackberry brambles and my huge forsythia this time of year. too bad those brambles are getting cut out :/ and the forsythia is getting divided and moved to the side of the property.
Perhaps Eastern Phoebes? Black Phoebes are not present in NH.

Eastern Phoebe:

Unknown-1.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yep! looks like the pair i have here! my younger cat seems to enjoy watching them through the sliding glass door. he's not allowed out of the house so they should be safe from him!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just one of many reasons my cats are all indoors...unfortunately my neighbors don't share my views, so I'm a bit concerned with the bluebirds nesting in a box along our fence. :/

Latest posts