Dang Pole beans....wondering whats wrong

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hoodat I'm so impressed with your level of knowledge. This is something I won't forget either. This is a brand new garden for 2011. It hasn't had anything growing in it other than grass for 20+ years. Last fall the area was covered then turned over once the grass was dead. Then this spring I added as much compost as I could get my hands on (it wasn't enough I knew that but figured something was better than nothing) and I went for it.

So because of the lack of bacteria issue, should I replant the same area next season and with an innoculant in an effort to get my beans so I might be able to build on the bacteria that have been started by this years crop of beans? Or should I move them to a different spot for the 2012 garde and use an innoculant and start over?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can't kick around as long as I have without learning something or other.
If you haven't had any serious disease or insect problems with this years beans you might try growing beans again there next season just to get a good bacteria colony thriving but I wouldn't plant them in the same spot more often than that. It would be inviting disease problems to accumulate. Once established the proper bacteria will be there for many years even if no beans are grown there for awhile. They will also spread to other parts of the garden in search of something they can partner with so if your garden isn't really large you won't have to worry about adding them each year. Remember that although the bacteria will take care of the plants nitrogen needs you still have to supply potash and phosphate as well as trace minerals.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was afraid Id be tempting fate by replanting them in that area but I want to take advantage of whatever bacteria I've gotten so far. I'll be sure to put down a lot more compost especially in that area to help ensure I get a good crop. I didn't realize they were so dependent on bacteria for nitrogen uptake otherwise I would have focused my limited compost there.

I really appreciate the info and here are a few pictures of how they are doing. I went out and took pictures then weeded. I didn't want to forget to take pictures so I did it that way. Looking back I should have done it the other way around :rolleyes: but when its work O.T. or pull weeds, O.T. wins out.

7129_sam_1495.jpg

I've got a few that are this high. I think 3. They almost waist high on me and I'm 5'10".

But more of them look like this......

7129_sam_1508.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jarred77 we had a wet and cool spring here in eastern IA, now it is VERY dry! (hot and humid) Your ground looks pretty dry, too. We finally have vines about shoulder high and a few blooms. I really have a hard time being patient with them. :/ Your growing season is longer than ours. I think you will get some yet. Hang in there. :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't think they look bad..The leaves look healthy and green. One day you will look at them and they will be huge!