D'Anjou Pears for Pear Butter?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, I'd have to wait until we are into sub-zero weather to have the slightest need for all those calories!!! I know, bake it the night before a heavy snow storm! I'd try it with the pear butter, I think.

Austintgraf, I tried pumpkin butter several years ago. It came out real sticky; kind of heavy. If I remember right, the part that I made with raisins added was the best but only because it "loosened" the pumpkin butter.

Is there some better way to make pumpkin butter? You know, like a recipe from a grandmother who was still making it when she was over 80 :p?

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm telling ya Steve go make a batch of peach butter. It's a sweeter alternative for when you want something different. First batch I made when my wife wasn't home since she thought I was crazy. But now she loves it. She did have a point since I tend to play mad scientist in our kitchen. Especially when it comes to canning.

austintgraf

Sprout
Reaction score
:lol: I'm not sure of a recipe. I know there is one but they wouldn't let me get my hands on it :rolleyes: they sell it at our cider press in upstate New York, well at least they used too...its been about 8 years since I've been back up to it. It's a rather long trip :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Austintgraf, I usually have a fair number of buttercup squash at this time of year. Along about another month, I'll be worried about getting any of them to Christmas! Maybe, I can have have a "pumpkin pie" from a couple about the 1st of January.

Since the squash don't keep well for me in the basement, I'm usually trying to think of a way to use them. There were more pumpkins than I cared to carve this year! And, there were almost no squash from my garden.

I've got pumpkin bread I can make with the . . . um, pumpkin :). The "Sweet Potato Cookies" are good and pumpkin should be worth a try as a substitute. Also, something called "Pumpkin Corn Cake" which I haven't tried. I've been thinking about using pumpkin in the family Zucchini Bread recipe.

Anyway, the recipes I usually find are for "pumpkin" since people are probably using what comes out of a can. Somewhere around here I've got 3 pumpkin butter recipes and I remember that I made it 2 ways. Maybe it is time for me to find those and try the "third way" ;).

And peach butter? I've got a "non-recipe" for Peach Butter in my 1969 Kerr Home Canning Book. Two parts peach pulp to one part sugar and boil. Seems like I should add just a little something to that. It has been a few years since I have made a peach pie but that recipe calls for lemon juice and nutmeg . . . I'll think about that. Nutmeg isn't my favorite spice.

This might seem a little strange but I've got some nice apple cider. Some of the recipes online call for a little water - probably just to start the processing. I used some of the cider when I made that pear butter. I bet apple cider would be tasty in with the peaches. Anyway, tomorrow is "Fresh Friday" at the soopermarket where I found the Bartlett pears. I'll check to see what peaches they have :).

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you looked into canning the squash? You cube it and pressure can it that way. Then later when you want pie you puree it then. It's unsafe to can pured squash due to its density in that form.

Peach butter is easy. We fill the crock pot with peach chunks. So long as they are skinned & the pits removed. You want just the peach flesh. We cut them up doesn't matter if halves or however you cut them up but it takes quite a few something like 40 peaches to fill our 6 quart crock pot.

We add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of all spice, and 4 cups of sugar. Put the lid on let it cook on low for 12 hrs. On low it won't scorch or burn it's set it in the evening & in the AM finish it? If it's not the consistency we want we use a small immersion blender to get it where we want it or leave the lid off so it can reduce down more.

Fill to 1/4" inch from the top & water bath for 15 minutes for pint jars. It's really that easy & a nice addition to the pantry along side our jam & apple butter. It's a favorite of mine on biscuits.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I went shopping yesterday after checking the produce ads for 2 stores.

Showed up at the 3rd store - no peaches. Went up & down their frozen food aisle - no peaches.

Decided I could try a big can or 2 so found those. They had "pear juice from concentrate" in light syrup. Well, there goes my idea to add some apple cider and how much sugar should I add? Finally, are they gonna taste like the pear butter I just made? Didn't want to use canned peaches anyway :(.

We will be at the green grocer in a couple of days and I'll see if there's still any chance for fresh.

Steve