david austin roses are my current favorites

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i have three. carding mill is an apricot and strongly scented, heritage is a beautiful pink that looks like pink glass and virtually thornless, and molineux is a yellow. they have been strong roses & i'm after scent these days.
my others are antiques. i have been a huge fan of roses in the past. at this time, i'm satisfied with what i have. i'm not looking for anymore for the time being.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the David Austins too. I had several a few years ago, but I didn't replace them when they eventually died out. In my east flower bed I do still have an Othello and a Heritage. I don't think the Othello is offered anymore. It's a deep wine red with a wonderful scent. Oh, there is also a white one, sort of a creamy white, with a strong clove scent. They are at least 10 years old, maybe more like 15. The hybrid teas and florabunda perform better, I guess, but they sure don't compare with the old English roses for fragrance. :love

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so lucky;
i hadn't heard of othello. it sounds so great. oddly, i don't have any reds. i do love a scented red rose. i guess the closest i have is zepharin droughin.
i don't think the hybrid teas do well at all here. they're tempermental, they want to be sprayed all the time. they are gangly and awkward in shape no matter how you prune them.
as you can tell, i'm not a fan of them.
i was walking around this morning looking at the roses. climbing pinky is full of buds and mutabilis is covered with buds. mutabilis, now that's a BIG girl. zepharin droughin isn't thinking about blossoms yet, nor is 'the fairy'.
i've got one knock out rose (i'm not a big fan, but my mom gave this one to me, so i love it). it's a pink. it's in a good place, but it will be awhile before it blooms.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Sharifa Asma in a wine barrel last month. I hope it does well. I'm concerned because it will get some shade in the afternoon but that's the only place I have.

In the past, I've had Heritage. That is one of my favorites. It just got too big for the space.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
"i have been a huge fan of roses in the past. at this time, i'm satisfied with what i have. i'm not looking for anymore for the time being."
Hahahahahahahaha.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
please describe sharifa asma. i love the name.

what's the matter catjac1975 - you don't think a person can get their fill of roses???

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bjtaylor, it's kind of very light pink. You can look it up in the David Austin website. Sorry, I don't know how to do links.

Mary

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I LOVE David Austin roses. What a fabulous idea, "Wow, I love old fashioned roses and their form, but I want them to smell more heavenly, be recurrent bloomers, and be disease resistant. Think I'll devote my life to breeding roses that accomplish just that!"

:weee Brilliant !:weee

If you like old fashioned roses and roses bred on their own rootstock check out http://www.heirloomroses.com/
Just so happens their David Austin's are on sale! Their roses arrive these petite little things, but within 2 years are large and established. Wonderful company that's north of me!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You must have more self control than I do. I have no more room in my rose garden and every year for many years my best friend and I went rose shopping once or twice a year. I always came home with too many. How did I stop-had to stop going to Roseland.
bj taylor said:
please describe sharifa asma. i love the name.

what's the matter catjac1975 - you don't think a person can get their fill of roses???

Latest posts