daylilies?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
i have a question about growing daylilies, i called park seed yesterday asking the horticulturist if bare root daylilies would bloom the same year they were planted, she said yes. I always thought the year you planted you should expect blooms the next year after. Am i wrong?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes and no.........

If planted early enough, if healthy enough, they will bloom. If they get set back, may lose a year. I set some out last year, the early ones bloomed, the late ones didn't.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
yes and no.........

If planted early enough, if healthy enough, they will bloom. If they get set back, may lose a year. I set some out last year, the early ones bloomed, the late ones didn't.
Would you think that planting the dayliles in May is late?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My experience with bareroot daylilies is that if you plant GOOD SIZED ones in the spring, yes they can do a little blooming the first year. OTOH if you buy weensy little slips in the mail, the odds are poorer. (But it can still happen).

Next year isn't THAT far off, though, even if you have to wait :)

JME,

Pat

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ripped a couple dozen out of my driveway garden last summer and left them on the asphalt. They bloomed there, no dirt whatsoever. Pretty tough flowers.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
CityChook said:
I ripped a couple dozen out of my driveway garden last summer and left them on the asphalt. They bloomed there, no dirt whatsoever. Pretty tough flowers.
Really with no dirt, pretty amazing!!
The daylilies have underground storage that some how stores water and nutrients long periods of time out of the ground, i'll tell you one thing their perfect for shipping or transporting them.

Latest posts