Daylillies Taking Over

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

Kaycei's question reminded me of a question. Can I divide my daylillies now? They have grown a ton already this spring and are crowding some of my Asiatic lillies. There are no blooms yet, only foliage. I know they are very hardy, so would they be traumatized if I cut them in half and replanted them?

Thanks!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't divide them now - you may not get blooms. I believe the best time is late summer and fall after they bloom - that's when I divide mine.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I divide lillies all the time in spring. I'm putting them on some real marginal soil so they don't bloom real well the first year.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as you don't mind reduced bloom the first year, go right ahead. You can't normally kill daylilies with a stick, so whenever's the most convenient time, go for it. As seedcorn does, I divide and move them all the time in the spring b/c that's when I have time and ambition and want space made available for other things; and nothing bad has ever happened to me from it.

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you really have TOO many.... feel free to send me some! LOL

:gig

I would seperate some of them now if they are causing an issue for other plants. Again, you'll probably loose some blooms this season. But it will look nice and showy again next season.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think that is what happened. I got them from my mom last year and never suspected how much they would grow in one season! Maybe I will just dig up the Asiatic lilly since it is much smaller.

Thanks for the advice!

Vfem, I'd say give it a few years and I will definately be able to send some your way, if you can tell me the secret to your beautiful spinach!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmm... the easy spinach... lets see.... dirt... water.... oh and I let a 2 yr old plant them!!! LOL :lol:

When it was time to 'thin' I let them go until I could get a few leaves off the others for a small salad or 2 and I still didn't thin as much as I should of quite yet. As they got bigger, I thinned again to the right amount... then let the rest go.

I ended up 3 seperate harvests. (I also started these in Febuary under a that plastic cover thing my husband made.) I think the cool days and cold nights did good for them.

I hope that helps.

(I do have more seeds of this kind left)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you really end up with many more than you can use or give away, you can actually eat daylily tubers in early spring.

They taste a bit like hearts of palm, or a crunchy-type salad potato.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A couple years ago, I pulled out dozens of daylilies from beside my driveway. Couldn't GIVE them away... Goofy things *bloomed* right there on my driveway, roots exposed and all. I swear, you can't kill them.

Latest posts