Reaction score
this is a lovely sentiment to read

Set all things
in their own peculiar place,
and know that order
is the greatest grace.
~ John Dryden

but not a chance for me I have no order or grace :p

but it is nice to have a reminder that there is some in life and maybe some effort aside to achieve a little

thanks

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How many here plant onions or shallots in the fall and overwinter them for spring?
What type of success do you have with it compared to spring planting?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Natalie, I keep the shallots in the garage rather than planting in the fall.

The only reason that I can think of for following this pattern (for about 20 years) is because of the earliness of the shallot harvest. I do my very best to collect all of them, and then . . . there they are :rolleyes:. Over the next several months, I can rummage thru my basket of shallots and select those for the day's menu. Winter sets in and I'm still rummaging thru the basket.

They don't seem to suffer and it freezes in the garage where the shallots are stored. There's no chance of them sprouting, It is a wonder that they don't die! But, they don't.

Very early in the spring, they go out in a prepared bed of soil.

A few tiny ones are often missed at harvest and they will grow, too. I'd be curious to know if the good sets would make better growth if they were planted in the fall. A fair test has never occurred in my garden.

Steve

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Steve.
I was wondering because I planted some shallots this past fall for the first time and I have no idea what to expect.
I plan to plant the same type this spring so I guess I will see how each does.
Its good to hear they keep so well for you. I would love to be able to have shallots all winter.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have an onion question. I am pretty good at starting plants from seeds but not so much with onions. A tried it a couple of years ago but this was my first year starting seeds. I have learned a lot and do all my own tomatoes, peppers, and melons etc...

Does anyone start onions inside and what are the secrets?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
Most of the companies tell you that onions are better to direct seed so that is how I have been doing it.
I have read that and given it a lot of thought but since I haven't been able to see my garden for about a month and we are supposed to get more snow tomorrow I am a little worried about that. When do you direct seed?

Our last date for frost is 20 May and our first frost usually hits mid- late of Sept. Is this a long enough growing season for direct seeding.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with the type of onion (of which I am not an expert, believe me... :lol:)

I usually buy starts/seedlings from our local nursery, Walla Walla or a yellow sweet variety (long day).
Last year, a friend of mine that runs the nursery told me that they start their onion seeds in mid Feb. and trim them back 2-3 times (to 3") ... until sale time in April/May. We can usually plant them out late April or early May.

I've had great success with the seedlings started this way so I'm giving it a go starting my own from seed this year.
My seedlings popped up just a few days after planting, room temp... probably around 68 degrees F. and are doing well under lights... so far so good! :fl

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I have an onion question. I am pretty good at starting plants from seeds but not so much with onions. A tried it a couple of years ago but this was my first year starting seeds. I have learned a lot and do all my own tomatoes, peppers, and melons etc...

Does anyone start onions inside and what are the secrets?
I did it both ways last year, and the ones I started indoors did much better. I just started mine for this year last week. I do them just like the rest of my seeds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Shallots I have NOT done in the fall, I have my yellow onions and elephant garlic planted in the fall and I will harvest them when the tops flop. Probably in June.

I gave my neighbor the bulb starts from the yellow onions I had left, and he has planted them earlier this week. So we'll see the difference at harvest time. It will help me determine if I want to do another fall planting this year, or do the spring in 2011.

Good question!

Latest posts