Deciding On Onion Varieties

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW has told me NOT to buy started plants from Texas this year :/. I've tried to reason with her that 60 plants for less than $10 is a good buy but she thinks :rolleyes: that the ones started from seed in our little greenhouse can do just as well. I haven't seen that with the Walla Walla's. My starts are fine but the TX starts make for larger bulbs at harvest time . . .

Utah Sweets do better than Walla Walla's (go figure :rolleyes:) when I handle the seed starting. But, springtime direct-seeding in the garden is OUT for my part of the world. There's just not enuf time before they begin to slow down in growth. Seeds from the non-sweets are possibilities but I will run into weed problems. It hasn't been worth the frustration so I do not direct-seed those to the garden, either. The lone exception of late was the shallots I grew from seed in 'o8 and I will direct-seed more shallots this year :).

Onions can have lots of trouble from weeds. They have shallow roots and if you have chickweed, or whatever, to pull -- chances are real good that you cannot separate the onions from the weeds and they both get ripped out :/.

Transplanting into the garden can be a little latter, so you can cultivate the ground after weed seeds have sprouted and eliminate some of the problem. Also, the plants are somewhat large, can fend for themselves a little better, and cling to the soil while you weed around them later.

. . . just what I do and my 2.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I am stuck on some Walla Wallas is that they are consistent for me... they always produce a very large bulb, and they are my onion of choice for making salsa. (we 'can' lots of it)

The seedlings I buy at the nursery are those 2 x 3" open cell packs and there are 30- 50 seedlings crammed in there, for about 2 bucks.
I know ... why am I starting my own? ... well I just HAD to ... :lol:

I read that if bulb development starts too early, bulbs will be smaller. Since daylight hours is the main factor for bulb development, I'm wondering if controlling the supplemental lighting on indoor seedlings would benefit? Maybe to natural daylight hours this time of year... hmmm ... ?
The nursery starts them early and cuts them back for better root development.

I found a link that may be of help to gardeners in the cold zones (ya know... where the soil becomes a big ole ice cube for months ... :rolleyes: )

Soil Germination Temperature

My soil does not warm to 50 F until mid to late April.
Onion seed has a high germination rate in very cold soil temps, but germination may take much longer ... (number of days are in ( ) on the chart.)

Even at 50 F soil temp, seeds may take two weeks to germinate ... time for weeds to grow and limit your cool growing days for bulb development.

More onion brain food for northern gardeners ...

NDSU Extension

Onions are SO complicated! ... give me a tomato plant :coolsun ...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: that soil temperature chart is the same one that I keep posting on here from the University of Minnesota :lol:

Interesting that Tom Clothier says, "The above data was taken from a report published in the mid-1980's. Author, affiliation, and publisher are not known."

But the U of M states quite clearly, "1999 Minnesota Extension Service, University of Minnesota. All rights reserved."
:th

Yes, a soil temperature of 50 is really tough for me also, Lavender. Overnight air temperatures do not warm, on average, to above 50 until June 17th here, the Weather Service says. There are lots of things that I cannot wait for :/ -- I just go with varieties that tolerate cool nights and cold soils.

Steve :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
biggreenthumb said:
HunkieDorie23 said:
I have an onion question. I am pretty good at starting plants from seeds but not so much with onions. A tried it a couple of years ago but this was my first year starting seeds. I have learned a lot and do all my own tomatoes, peppers, and melons etc...

Does anyone start onions inside and what are the secrets?
I did it both ways last year, and the ones I started indoors did much better. I just started mine for this year last week. I do them just like the rest of my seeds.
OK, I started some spanish onions today (long day). I bought some bunching onions to direct seed. I am just hoping that the snow stops by April so that I can plant them in the garden. :fl

Latest posts