Decline of Honey Bees Now a Global Phenomenon, says United Nations

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This colony collapse disorder is scarey stuff indeed.
I hope that science can find some definitive answers so we can adress this problem.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course the fact that honey bees are inbred to a fault has nothing to do with their decline. Plus concentration of numbers in a small area with transportation all over the country so that any disease, insect is spread all over rather than being confined, again, not a possiblility. It's all about commercial AG being the culprit. So sad.

This is a serious problem that needs to be studied.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is an excellent strategy to encourage and bring bees into ones garden.

However, lets bring this into better focus. I like to think about what are the consequences instead of a ho hum reaction and saying .oh, gee that is so sad.
What are the projected results of the lost of pollinators for the people of this earth? As of 1997 it was.Three quarters of crops or 100 or so crop species around the world depend on animals/insects to ensure that the crops are pollinated.

This means about a 20% and more loss in f fruits and vegetables crops for the world. The crap that the GMO industry pusheshas accelerated these numbers and has demanded from the public more money for uses of their products.

PDF guide

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...+campaign&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the upteenth time, Bt is being used by ORGANIC FARMERS to kill insects, so ORGANIC FARMERS/GARDENERS are the fault as well. They use it in high concentrations unlike commercial AG.

The Bt gene in corn kills corn borer only. Other insects (including bees) are immune to it in corn pollen. The RW gene only kills rootworm beetle larvae, again not a problem for honey bees. The Ignite gene and glysophate gene are not insecticides so they have no effect on insects. This problem was discovered in Europe where GMO crops are not grown.

Go on with your rant and ignore the real causes of bee hive collapse. If you try real hard, you could probably blame all the wars, economy collapses, getto problems on commercial ag as well.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh...yes.SEE CORN....Organic Farmers are to be blamed for the entire collapse of civilization..not the GMO s or the MONSANTOS out there in TV Land. Gawfa‼! You are such a bully. :lol: But you do not scare me. I can read. :weee

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While honey is nice, pollination of the food crops is more important. This is where mason bees come in. I have some wood blocks I scrounged that I will be drilling holes in for bee housing....
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Other/note109/note109.html

I just read an article the other day that a wikileaks document showed US embassy employees were lobbying the Argentinian gvnmt to allow Monsanto pesticides.

"The US began lobbying in favor of the pesticide manufacturer, Monsato, six months after President Cristina Fernndez de Kirchner ordered the Ministry of Health initiated an official investigation on the possible harmful effects of the pesticide. If the study shows the pesticide affects the health of the population, it will serve to limit, and eventually ban, the use of glyphosate."

http://www.argentinaindependent.com...assy-lobbies-for-pesticide-use-in-argentina-/

But hey...if blaming organic farmers for the death of bees makes you feel better...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA....

It could be 10 things killing bees, though its hard to find because I think its a combination of them all.

I would make any changes I need to make to help them out if someone can tell if for sure its one thing or the other. The sad part is IF they come back and say its for sure a pesticide, or virus thriving off what we're doing with Ag. I know Ag will fight to NOT change, and eventually this will go through the US government to force people to change.

People won't pour out in droves to make these changes, generally, people don't like and they want things as they are and expect the bad things to just STOP happening because they are set in their ways. Its honestly going to have to be left to the next generation to deal with.

I don't think we could all stop fighting among ourselves to make a decision that would impact us positively because any positive changes for one, will certainly be negative changes for another.

I just hope they figure out the major cause, and actually share it publicly. Though I'm sure some people out their already know and are keeping it hush hush because it will cost someone big $$$ if its released. :/

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One thing mentioned as a cause of bee death was the loss of wild flowers and other food sources because of monoculture.

That is easy enough to deal with on an individual basis. Plant flowers with your food. If you don't want to take up food growing space, just overseed your grass with dutch white clover.

The biggest bee attractors I have are the apple and pear trees in spring and the Japanese Spirea shrubs in fall. I once sat by the biggest shrubs in flower and counted at least 10 different types of bees on it. I had honey bees, leaf cutter bees (these are awesome), bumble bees, and some I have no idea what they were. One was silver and blacked striped and hardly bigger than a gnat. So cool!

I started with one spirea shrub about 5 years ago, but after seeing how much the bees loved it, I started propagating more. I now have 4 in the back yard and 2 in the front yard. They are easy to shape how ever you want, they are very tolerant of differing growing conditions and the blue flowers are really pretty.

Mine looks like this...
Shrub,%20Blue%20Mist%20Spirea.jpg

Anyway, make your property a bee haven if you can. Mason bee housing and good food sources are easy ways to do it.

Latest posts