Decline of Honey Bees Now a Global Phenomenon, says United Nations

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with V fem, Wife Z and others are saying, until the true causes of CCD are known each person will have to do what they can to create a safe haven for the bees. I have read many articles on the net and in magazines, and most of them differ on the reason it is happening. One thing that most agree on is that the backyard bee keeper may be the answer to saving these pollinators. So I am going to do what I can to make our property bee safe.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another good practice in encouraging bees to stay around your garden is not to be too quick to tear out a crop that is bolting. Just let it flower for awhile before you take it out. Right now the most popular part of my garden for bees is a row of pak choy that has gone to flower.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not anymore. A lot of bee keepers switched to high fructose corn syrup because it is cheaper. So the substitute (sugar) has been substituted.
That's even worse. We've created this monster and until we're willing to take our lumps and accept our losses its not going to change. We fight them at every turn. We feed them crap (high fructose corn syrup) that they wouldn't normally get in their diet, we struggle to keep them from swarming, we requeen and never really see how strong or week the line really is we just assume we need another one to keep production up. Well no wonder they can't hold their own we don't give them a chance to.

You want to change? Stop propping up these houses of cards. Stop the chemicals, the artifical junk feedings, leave them alone and let them do their thing. Stop robbing them blind, take a fair portion but leave them plenty of food and they just might surprise you and make it on their own.

One thing that most agree on is that the backyard bee keeper may be the answer to saving these pollinators. So I am going to do what I can to make our property bee safe.
Thats because some of us want them for their pollinating efforts not gallons of honey for the fewest hives possible to maximize our profits. We can't or don't requeen constantly and some folks even buy local when possible so the bees are more suited for our area rather than bringing up bees from the south to regions where they might struggle to survive.

Bees don't need humans. All we do is give them a safe place to set up and work their magic.

You want to increase your honey production? Build another hive! Its that simple.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's where the small beeks come in. They are less likely to use all the gimmicks to increase production to the Nth degree and more likely to let the bees do their own thing. Short term profits vs long term good is the problem.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is why we chose the top bar hives, less honey to split with them but we want them in a natural enviroment for the bees to thrive, and we want good pollination.

If we decide me want honey of our own, or more later on... we will get 1 or 2 more hives.

Rather then make the few we have work harder, we just need to protect MORE bees.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Speaking of bees Between my last post and this one I had a swarm of bees pass through while I was tending my rabbits. Beautiful sight and I wish them well. I think theres a beek somewhere in that direction. If I'm right they may be able to settle them and give them a home.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Speaking of bees Between my last post and this one I had a swarm of bees pass through while I was tending my rabbits. Beautiful sight and I wish them well. I think theres a beek somewhere in that direction. If I'm right they may be able to settle them and give them a home.
Hubby is hoping to have a swarm come through this way. He's almost done with the hive and wants to run down the inside with bees wax to try to attract some bees our way! FREE BEES!!! :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Probably a bit early for swarms of wild bees in your area. We had a pretty good rainy season so our wildflowers are right at their peak now. Probably our local wild bees have a hive full of honey so they can afford to split.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
hoodat said:
Hubby is hoping to have a swarm come through this way. He's almost done with the hive and wants to run down the inside with bees wax to try to attract some bees our way! FREE BEES!!! :D
We called an exterminated and asked if they had a swarm list and they gave me the number to the person who collects their swarms. He wants $50 per swarm.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We called an exterminated and asked if they had a swarm list and they gave me the number to the person who collects their swarms. He wants $50 per swarm.
I gotta remember call when I get the hive built (hopefully next year Ill have mine ready to go) cause thats a steal!!

Latest posts