Deer are eating my tomato plants.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used Irish Spring around my fruit trees, and it didn't do much to deter deer. I hung bars in the little holders like you hang in the shower. A neighbor told me it works better if you actually slice the bar up into small strips. Apparently the smell becomes much stronger this way. Haven't tried that yet, but the deer for some reason seem to be avoiding my yard this year, thankfully. Might be the dog.:)

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went to town today and got some bird netting. I am going to place it around my tomatoes.
I used some Deer Off. You have to really spray it on for it to work. Takes to much. So I thought I would try the netting.

panner123

Sprout
Reaction score
I have finally kept the deer out of my garden this year. I have a 10 foot fence around it. In the past we have used hair, deer off, urine, dogs and Smith & Wesson, nothing kept them out when we left. They would jump the 8 foot fence like it wasn't there. With the 10 foot fence I have watched them walk up to it and back off a ways and run at it. They stop short of the jumping. I guess I finally have it tall enough.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's alot of fence. I thought about putting up an 8 foot fence with electric around the top. Don't know if that would work or not. So far the bird netting seems to be working.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's been my experience, Panner. Blood meal worked a little, but their interest in veges outweighed their aversion. Soap didn't do much, not even sliced, etc. etc.

I put up a 4' field fence, then ran 6' of 2" chicken wire over that, letting it drape a little at the top, which they hate.

It's worked really well for the past 19 years. :)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
never had the problem but was told once that if you lay chicken wire down on the ground they wont walk on it because it feels unsteady.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have also heard that, if you don't have a male dog available to pee around your garden, get a HUMAN male family member or friend to do it for you. I promise not to peak. ;)

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will try to take pics tomarrow of the bird netting I have put over my tomatoes. I just drapped it over top of them. So far so good.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
blurose said:
I have also heard that, if you don't have a male dog available to pee around your garden, get a HUMAN male family member or friend to do it for you. I promise not to peak. ;)
Now just how do you approach a friend, about a thing like that? :lol: Actually peeking might encourage some guys...:lol: ;)