Deer or Human?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a house in the Hudson Valley of NY. I only use this house a few nights a month. By the street I have a 10 year old pear tree. This year the tree was filled with pears. I had a branch break it was so heavy with fruit. Yesterday every pear was gone, but 2 on very top of tree. There was no half eaten pears on the ground. The place is filled with all sorts of wildlife, is there any animal that would carry away a whole tree of fruit and leave no trace? I think a person helped themselves to all the pears.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are probably right. :( The animals would eat there and leave bits and peice and droppings. So sorry.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would have to say Human. At least in Maine and NH this year, there are no acorns at all for the most part and the deer are very hungry. However, as Carol says, the deer, squirrels, chipmunks, etc would leave bits and peices and probably there would be whole pears still left. Sorry...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks I didn't think it was deer. If someone would have put a note in my mailbox asking, I would have told them help yourself to all you want. Someone just taking them is a diffrent story.

HappyHomestead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
One of the cleverest signs I ever saw was posted in front of a raspberry patch: Do Not Eat (Skull and crossbones) Recently Sprayed. That sign has been up all summer :)

wiswash

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Deer will stand on their hind legs to eat from fruit trees. They probably wouldnt reach anything over 6 ft off the ground. I can see where deer will eat EVERYTHING they can reach.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HappyHomestead said:
One of the cleverest signs I ever saw was posted in front of a raspberry patch: Do Not Eat (Skull and crossbones) Recently Sprayed. That sign has been up all summer :)
Stealing this idea!!!!!!!!

I wonder if that would work on the chicken coops? :p

Latest posts