Deer proof crops?

redoak

Sprout
Reaction score
What crops have you planted that are deer proof? The deer have never touched my bird house gourds, potatoes, onions and garlic. They will nibble on my tomatoes, summer squash and winter squash, pumpkins. Next year I'm looking to expand my garden and plant all the deer proof stuff outside my fenced garden. Also looking for odd-ball stuff that is good to eat and deer proof that isn't widely used.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are lucky that they don't eat your spud tops. I have watched deer eat mine like a lawnmower. :mad: They must have enough other good things to eat so they don't bother with yours?

I too, am interested in what others may have found the deer won't bother. So far they like everything I grow!:eek:

redoak

Sprout
Reaction score
I did some research and asparagus is supposed to be deer proof. I've also noticed a guy a few miles away from me, has a couple thousand square feet of asparagus unfenced in a field away from his house.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sunflowers. They say they don't like them. But who knows. They seem to change from year to year.
Mine seem to like everything I plant.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did read, just a few minutes ago, that planting lavender deter deer. If you surround other plants the deers do it with them, it will warm them away!

Here's a link the lavender information on about.com

http://gardening.about.com/od/perennials/a/Lavender_2.htm

"Lavender makes an excellent companion plant for almost anything from roses to cabbage. It is one of those aromatic, gray herbs that deer avoid, making it a great choice as a decoy in your Hosta or daylily beds."

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In general, they will avoid herbs of all kinds.

I would guess they would avoid rhubarb too. Anyone know?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nothing I have ever planted has been truly deer proof.

The dog occasionally plants himself, and they don't eat him. Does that count?

redoak

Sprout
Reaction score
I planted a punch of sunflowers around the house and the deer eat the tops off before they flower. I added a 2nd scarecrow tonight. Last night they ate a green pumpkin that was on a runner that escaped the fenced in garden.

Deer have never touched my rhubarb or horseradish.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Crazily enough (knocking on wood loudly), we've had nearly zero deer damage for the first time this year! We do have Irish Spring hanging in old pantyhose on our fruit trees and now that I think of it they are scattered around our yard and edging the garden. It was to keep the deer off the trees, but maybe it helped keep them away altogether?!?

Latest posts