Deer Repellant-need HELP.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The deer have finally found my daylilies and I have to find a solution now before it gets worse. How we enjoyed seeing the Mother deer and her twins all Summer. Until we didn't. I may have to install a better electric fence. The tulip farms around here look like they have enough power to keep a prison yard secure. I am hoping not to have to resort to that. Anyway all advice will be considered. I am pretty sure Baymule swore by a deer repellant. Hope you are listening, Bay. I am putting out heat activated solar lights, but I think they will get used to them. Any one sell a heat activated vicious dog sound? I keep asking my husband to mark his territory. HELP!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made my own deer repellant when we lived on the golf course.

Several eggs, old and stinky - get them really going!
Lots of fresh garlic, ground up
Oil to hold it all together

Let the above seep together for a week or more. The smellier the better. Then strain very very well (I used a paint strainer)
Add water and put in spray bottle. Sometimes I added some tabasco or siracha sauce. But those capsaicin products may burn your foliage.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made my own deer repellant when we lived on the golf course.

Several eggs, old and stinky - get them really going!
Lots of fresh garlic, ground up
Oil to hold it all together

Let the above seep together for a week or more. The smellier the better. Then strain very very well (I used a paint strainer)
Add water and put in spray bottle. Sometimes I added some tabasco or siracha sauce. But those capsaicin products may burn your foliage.
How do you keep from puking? So a rancid smell is best?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 Up here i’ve found that covering my strawberries and raspberries with plain ole bird netting, keeps Moose off them! Previously they’ed get down on they’re knees and MOW them flat. Been using this for several years and never worry now.
p.s, bird netting don’t stink either.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope I’m not the deer repellent lady. On my garden thread I basically said to use urine. Sure your husband won’t mark his territory? LOL
The bird netting sounds like a good idea.

I have big dogs. No deer crossed my fences. I had a dog that even jumped the fence to go chase them away. I wasn’t too crazy about that, but no deer. Maybe you need a Great Pyrenees to keep the deer away.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope I’m not the deer repellent lady. On my garden thread I basically said to use urine. Sure your husband won’t mark his territory? LOL
The bird netting sounds like a good idea.

I have big dogs. No deer crossed my fences. I had a dog that even jumped the fence to go chase them away. I wasn’t too crazy about that, but no deer. Maybe you need a Great Pyrenees to keep the deer away.
I am currently dogless. The gardens are too far for him to walk in the dark and too open to go in the daylight.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We use motion detecting water sprinklers.
Screenshot_20221109-042217.png

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a good fence has been only thing reliable here. everything else they've gotten used to or outright ignored. bad smells/flavors/capsaicin - did nothing at all if they were hungry enough they'd eat things dripping wet from those.

Latest posts