Dehydrating Herbs

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Basil and Cilantro. Guess how many trays on the dehydrator?
PXL_20210622_123653964_resize_14.jpg

Hint: more than 8, less than 10

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I usually get about a cup and a half from five of my 12-1/2" diameter trays using my American Harvest dehydrator. I suspect I pack it a little thicker than you do. Depending on how humid it is, it may take over two days and sometimes over three days to dry out enough. The trays at the top dry out faster so I rotate the trays to even that out. It's set at 95F which isn't a lot warmer than background air temperature and dew point is often around the mid-70's F, fairly humid. I dehydrate in an unairconditioned workshop to keep the smell down in the house. Got to keep the wife happy.

I don't see many stems in there. Do you pick the green leaves off of the stem or pick stems out after grinding. I'd be amazed if you can grind the stems up that fine. I try to remove as many stems as I can before drying which is a slow tedious process but I still pick a lot of stems out after grinding.

I use a fairly large blender to do the grinding. I tried a small one but it didn't work well, I don't think it was fast enough or the blades weren't sharp enough. I need a certain volume or it doesn't grind well at all.

I store mine in glass jars with tight lids, usually pints and keep it in the dark away from heat. In the kitchen I have smaller amounts in small glass jars so we're not opening the main supply as often. That cabinet is not directly over the stove but it's right next to it so it can get warm in there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I usually don't have time to pulverize, BUT, DD replaced my coffee grinder with a much better one, so the old one sits idle. I think I will stick to pulverizing the peppers after storage.
Still, look mighty nice @Dirtmechanic !
And, I AM jelly of your machine @Ridgerunner!
I will stick to my old dehydrator, until it dies, and steal away some time with DD's dehydrating feature on their Air Fryer.
Do you use these kinds of lids?
or maybe these

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would very much like a dehydrator

Is there another way to dry herbs like hanging it to dry out? Would this way take away the goodness?
You just want to dessicate them not cook them so it takes a long time If you dried them by hanging, I would suggest something like a thin paper bag over the plant and tied at the root ao as the flakes fall off they do not hit the floor. Rot might be a problem in the summer so drier winter air or a dehumidifier in the room might be best. B will dry her catnip in our garage where we have a 70 pint dehumidifier and they dry quickly and without problems.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You just want to dessicate them not cook them so it takes a long time If you dried them by hanging, I would suggest something like a thin paper bag over the plant and tied at the root ao as the flakes fall off they do not hit the floor. Rot might be a problem in the summer so drier winter air or a dehumidifier in the room might be best. B will dry her catnip in our garage where we have a 70 pint dehumidifier and they dry quickly and without problems.
Thank you. :) a dehumidifier is something I actually have. I will collect paper bags asap. ;)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you. :) a dehumidifier is something I actually have. I will collect paper bags asap. ;)
All hanging up by the dehumidifier. It's not completely paper it has this perforated clear stuff on the one side, maybe plastic but supposeto be biodegradable. So I've kept the parsley away from that part .

This thread could come in handy for someone else on day

20211026_190109.jpg

Latest posts