Design ideas needed please

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second Journeys thought about an odd number of rocks there.
But it doesn't necessarily have to be rocks. If it's a group of three objects that can relate to each other. I was thinking a unique birdbath, and a birdhouse on a pole grouped near the rock would pull that off.

Also the bed itself can be built on your existing sod lasagne style. That's how I do all of mine, easy peasy, and the soil becomes fantastic.

Oh! I just thought of something else! How about doing a mound planting? Those are fun, Gives a lot of dimension to your plantings.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about an obelisk or some tall garden structure to visually cut the rock down in size, placed just behind the rock and to one side. Then an ornate birdbath or bench just a little out from the other side. And a few more rocks would make it look like they all should be there, with plants, of course.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your prefered color choices for some reason made me think of vining sweet peas - do you think they might climb on the rock? Not sure if they could grip on to it, but it might look more "naturalized".

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love all of these ideas!
One thing I wish I would have done is to use a few shrubs as anchor plantings and for permanence. I started with a blank slate also, except for some tall oaks and swamp grass (probably why I shy away from most grasses). The perennial beds disappear in Fall, or most years just stand there all brown and dead :rolleyes:. I have a spreading yew, stays 3-4ft., in my front bed that looks great all year and makes a nice backdrop for the tulips and black-eyed susans. I don't like the formal look, only pruning out winter kill, for a more natural look.

I also like to mix roses in with perennial and annual plants. My style is somewhere between organized clutter and chaos though.:eek:

Southernliving photo ....

driveway-flowers-l.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You sound just like me @Lavender2 , I started with just perennials in a cottage style (restrained chaos) which looked awesome when everything was blooming cooperatively, and just dismal in the off season. I just added several shrubs last season and cleared out about 50% of the perennials. I'll keep tweaking it of course because that's where the fun is. :)

Yews are a good choice and I've thought about adding a few of the dwarf ones for some green color in the winter. Do you have to keep yours sprayed for deer?

Oh Jared, I just remembered that that rock disguise is covering a well pipe....so ixnay on my berm planting idea there I guess.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, Is that a working well or is it only capped ? Your answer will change what one should plant or place near or next to it for well servicing. Also, consider what fertilizers and pest control you will be using in that area so that the well water wouldn't be contaminated. Check with your local Health Department as each State has different rules and regulations !

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom ... I like the yews because they are one of the few shrubs that will tolerate some shade. They are suppose to be deer resistant, but mine is up by the house where deer do not frequent... so I can't say for sure they won't eat them if food is scarce. I had 3 yews by the driveway that I put white lights on for winter, beautiful til Dh decided to widen the driveway. :\

Like @Jared77 I tended to make use of the free stuff, dividing perennials and plopping them everywhere. I love color... even a bit of green popping out of the white helps a little. Or a shrub that will leaf out early and bloom in Spring would extend the color season a bit.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 , I just wondered if you had to spray your yews, around here they're deer crack. Fortunately even when they get hit hard they will grow back from bare wood, unlike the ubiquitous arborvitae that is another deer entry drug.

I'm not sure why some sites tell you yews (snik) are deer resistant. I believed that and installed a bunch at a cabin when I was just starting my business up. Oh my! They were skeletons that first fall.
How embarrassing.:oops: But yews are probably the most versatile evergreens out there because you can stick them just about anywhere and they're happy.

Yeah, free is good! I love free, and that is no doubt what led to my garden congestion, I can't say no to a free plant!

Latest posts