Desserts and Other Goodies.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
An old recipe for us, I like it because the filling isn't super sweet (or you can even use a bit less sugar if you find it is too sweet for your tastes).

other names for this pastry can be choux or profiteroles if you want to search for and read other recipe versions of them. :)

Makes about 12 large cream puffs.

Cream Puff Filling:

Cream Puff Filling Ingredients (make this first you want it to
cool off well or even be cold):

- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (less or more to taste is fine)
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Method:

In sauce pan combine the flour, sugar, salt and then add a
little of the milk to make a paste and then add the egg yolks
and mix completely. After that add the rest of the milk and
stir until smooth and then cook stirring constantly until
thickens (5-7 minutes over medium heat). Add butter, almond
extract and vanilla and stir in and then cool.

Cream Puffs:

Preheat oven to 450F.

Cream Puff Ingredients:

- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter (we don't use shortening)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Method:

Put water and shortening (and salt if used) in a pan or bowl
and bring it to a boil. Stir in flour until the dough forms a
smooth ball and doesn't stick to the sides. Remove from heat
and cool slightly. Stir in eggs one at a time mixing well.
Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet (should get about a
dozen if you use about 3/4 of an ice-cream scoop which makes
things like this much easier to do than actually dropping
spoonfuls).

Bake at 450F for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 400F and
bake for another 25 minutes. Cool off on a rack and cut off
tops (put them back on after filling) - they are mostly hollow,
but some bits may still be in there. I don't care and leave
them alone - some people will take them out.

Notes:

We top with chocolate frosting (after putting the filling in
and then putting the tops of the cream puffs back on) but I
also like these with whipped cream and chocolate sauce or just
sprinkled with chocolate shavings, nutmeg or cinnamon or ...

Really best when the cream puffs have been filled and frosted
and then cooled well before putting anything else on top.

The cream puffs can be a bit tricky to get right but the
main point is that you do not want the dough so hot that it
cooks the eggs when you stir them in. They're pretty eggy
and I like that. :)

Even if they don't turn out perfect they're still edible.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Do I Have to have made the recipe yet? :hide :hu
I grew up with Walnut Rolls for Easter. I have helped make it. Once. I have a big stash of walnuts and I wanna try it. I am good at sweetbreads, for what That's worth!! :lol:
Hungarian Nut Rolls
Ingredients
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
filling:

• 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4-1/2 cups ground walnuts
  • 1 large apple, peeled and grated
icing:

• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk

Directions​

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, salt, butter, sour cream, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for until smooth, 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, egg and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; gently stir in walnuts and apple. Cool completely.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Roll each into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over loaves.

Nutrition Facts​

1 slice: 222 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hungarian-nut-rolls/

Place 1 piece of the dough on the flour, and cover the bowl so the remaining dough doesn't dry out.

Roll dough out in a rectangle, about 12 inches by 10 inches and about ¼ inches thick.

Take 1 cup of nut filling, and sprinkle it evenly over the dough. You want to leave a border, about ½ inch or so, around the edges.

I find it easier to press the nut filling gently with your fingers out so that it's nice and even. You don't want to tear the dough by using a spatula or knife.

Flip the dough so that the long side is facing you. Then, gently lift the edge up and over the filling tightly.

If you have ever made cinnamon rolls, it's the same procedure.

Roll the dough, going from the center to the ends and back until you reach the other edge. Grandma called this jelly roll style. The seam side should be down.

Then, pinch the edges of the roll together, and tuck the ends underneath, pressing tightly to seal them.

Place the nut roll on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Repeat the process until all 4 nut rolls are formed.

You can bake 2 rolls on a large baking sheet at once. For proofing, grease both the prepared baking sheets and the foil to cover the rolls with butter.

Cover with greased foil, and allow to rise for 30 minutes. You can preheat the oven to 350 degrees while the dough is rising.

If you'd like, you can do an egg wash for an even golden brown color.

Baking Time
Bake the nut rolls, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Every oven is different.

You can check for doneness by tapping the top of the roll. If it sounds hollow, it's done. You can also check the temperature -- it should be at least 160 degrees.
How to Store
Store whole, uncut nut rolls wrapped in aluminum foil. Make sure it's cooled down first. Store sliced nut bread on a plate covered tightly with plastic wrap.

You can leave the nut rolls at room temperature if your house is cool, and if you're going to use up the bread within 3 days.

For longer storage, wrap the bread in plastic wrap and then again in aluminum foil, and store it in the freezer. it will keep for 3 months.

I don't recommend freezing raw dough. It's just not the same.
Variations
The best way to vary your nut rolls is to use your favorite different fillings!

Instead of the sweet walnut filling, use different nuts, such as pecans. You can also use fruits, such as apricots or prune (lekvar). Some people even add applesauce to the nut filling!

Adding raisins to the filling, or sprinkling a little bit of orange zest on top, is also delicious!

Sometimes, I use the same dough I use for the nut rolls to make makowiec, a Polish pastry roll made with a poppy seed filling. We call them poppyseed rolls.

For a sweeter treat, add a glaze on top of the rolls. A sweet apple glaze is popular for this.

Helpful Tips

Dough is too sticky - As with all yeast doughs, the weather may affect the nut roll dough. If the humidity is high, the dough may need more flour.

Dough is too dry - If it's cold and dry out, you may need less flour. That's why you should always gradually add flour instead of adding it all at once.

Dough cracks or splits - If your nut rolls split open while baking, there may be too much filling or the dough was too dry or didn't rise. It may not look good, but it should taste fine!

https://www.meatloafandmelodrama.com/nut-roll-recipe/

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do I Have to have made the recipe yet? :hide :hu
I grew up with Walnut Rolls for Easter. I have helped make it. Once. I have a big stash of walnuts and I wanna try it. I am good at sweetbreads, for what That's worth!! :lol:

well, if it sounds good and you helped make them that should be ok enough. :)

i normally like about anything with walnuts in it so i'd give 'em a try.

the article mentions wrapping in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for freezer storage and good for three months, but if you double wrap in freezer ziplock bags they can go quite a bit longer than three months.

NorthwoodsHens&Chicks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
An old recipe for us, I like it because the filling isn't super sweet (or you can even use a bit less sugar if you find it is too sweet for your tastes).

other names for this pastry can be choux or profiteroles if you want to search for and read other recipe versions of them. :)

Makes about 12 large cream puffs.

Cream Puff Filling:

Cream Puff Filling Ingredients (make this first you want it to
cool off well or even be cold):

- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (less or more to taste is fine)
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Method:

In sauce pan combine the flour, sugar, salt and then add a
little of the milk to make a paste and then add the egg yolks
and mix completely. After that add the rest of the milk and
stir until smooth and then cook stirring constantly until
thickens (5-7 minutes over medium heat). Add butter, almond
extract and vanilla and stir in and then cool.

Cream Puffs:

Preheat oven to 450F.

Cream Puff Ingredients:

- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter (we don't use shortening)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Method:

Put water and shortening (and salt if used) in a pan or bowl
and bring it to a boil. Stir in flour until the dough forms a
smooth ball and doesn't stick to the sides. Remove from heat
and cool slightly. Stir in eggs one at a time mixing well.
Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet (should get about a
dozen if you use about 3/4 of an ice-cream scoop which makes
things like this much easier to do than actually dropping
spoonfuls).

Bake at 450F for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 400F and
bake for another 25 minutes. Cool off on a rack and cut off
tops (put them back on after filling) - they are mostly hollow,
but some bits may still be in there. I don't care and leave
them alone - some people will take them out.

Notes:

We top with chocolate frosting (after putting the filling in
and then putting the tops of the cream puffs back on) but I
also like these with whipped cream and chocolate sauce or just
sprinkled with chocolate shavings, nutmeg or cinnamon or ...

Really best when the cream puffs have been filled and frosted
and then cooled well before putting anything else on top.

The cream puffs can be a bit tricky to get right but the
main point is that you do not want the dough so hot that it
cooks the eggs when you stir them in. They're pretty eggy
and I like that. :)

Even if they don't turn out perfect they're still edible.
I made these when my kids were young. They are very good fresh, filled with homemade whipped cream. In the summer, I made homemade ice cream for filling. The ice cream was piped in prior to freezing, filled pasties put on a cookie sheet and frozen, then bagged. The fam loved this on hot days. One could also fill and freeze with marscapone/whipping cream.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made these when my kids were young. They are very good fresh, filled with homemade whipped cream. In the summer, I made homemade ice cream for filling. The ice cream was piped in prior to freezing, filled pasties put on a cookie sheet and frozen, then bagged. The fam loved this on hot days. One could also fill and freeze with marscapone/whipping cream.

if you have a different recipe or method i'd be very interested in reading about it since i've been trying to find a version which is more reliable than what i've been doing. it seems like they are more hit or miss how i do them from the recipe i posted than what i see others getting done. so i've been watching youtube videos and seeing what variables are involved with them. learning and hoping i can get better. when i get a better recipe that works for sure and i'm better with my methods i'll post a refresher for what i already wrote above.

i easily could just eat the filling and forget the rest of it too. :) i really like puddings. :)

NorthwoodsHens&Chicks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
if you have a different recipe or method i'd be very interested in reading about it since i've been trying to find a version which is more reliable than what i've been doing. it seems like they are more hit or miss how i do them from the recipe i posted than what i see others getting done. so i've been watching youtube videos and seeing what variables are involved with them. learning and hoping i can get better. when i get a better recipe that works for sure and i'm better with my methods i'll post a refresher for what i already wrote above.

i easily could just eat the filling and forget the rest of it too. :) i really like puddings. :)
The recipe I used was from Pampered Chef, when that was a thing. I haven’t made them in over 10 yrs. I have long ago lost the written recipe but I went to the website and there it was ! Here’s the link.

Edited to add: This weekend I found my PC mini tart pan in a box that was in storage for 4 yrs!! I may need to make these tasty bits of yum soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i actually found out from my sister the trick that makes them much more reliable - which is to let them sit for about a half hour before baking. the last three times i'd made them they all came out much better. :)

Latest posts