Determined chickens

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought this was pretty amusing: I was out this morning digging up the raised bed because I am getting ready to plant some spring veggies. The chickens run is right next to where I was digging. I started tossing weeds & the occasional worm to them, so I had quite a crowd at the fence. As I'm turning over more & more worms, the ladies were getting pretty agitated that those worms were just out of reach. Finally, one of them flew OVER the fence & landed right in the raised bed & set to work snatching every worm she could see. :D I dug up a few spots inside their run to keep them occupied while I get my planting done. :tools

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i think tomorrow i'm going to let a few of my ladies out to scratch up the garden while i pull the dead plants and weeds out. i'm sure they will just LOVE the sunlight while they are out there. :coolsun they were let out of their garage coop earlier and trying to find patches of sun coming through the windows, more than what comes in their coop.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
heh, i think tomorrow i'm going to let a few of my ladies out to scratch up the garden while i pull the dead plants and weeds out. i'm sure they will just LOVE the sunlight while they are out there. :coolsun they were let out of their garage coop earlier and trying to find patches of sun coming through the windows, more than what comes in their coop.
Yeah they are super useful in the garden in spring and fall!!! Sometimes I let them weed between my tomatoes when my tomatoes are still green. :D

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lol sounds like my hens.. they started hopping the fence shortly into their start in the coop (my easter eggers that is). to keep them occupied we started throwing the clumps of soil from digging garden beds into the run for them to pick at.

And ;) I let them scratch up and attack the used goat bedding I put on my big long bed, Its all pooey from the goat shed and they've obliterated it! Its all shredded and mixed in! Last year I used hay in my chicken run to keep their tootsies warm while they were out there in the dead of winter, and they scratched it all up in the spring and we never had a single seed germinate, so I think its safe to say that every garden needs at least 5 chickens.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i found they were very effective with weed control in my yard. loved the clover around the back of the yard near their coop and i don't really see that stuff running out this year for them.

but then again, this is one of the areas i want to till and start a new garden in,so i am not sure if they will love me for the fresh veggies or look at me scornfully for getting rid of their precious treats. :/

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oops! Once they get the idea that they can get over the fence...they keep doing it. They do not forget. I have the same situation going on now. There are places in the yard that are not chicken ready yet and boy they are trying my patience. :barnie

I would never do anything hurt them...birds do not understand "punishment". I do not think any animal does. If you choose to be a macho type and to raise your hand and hit them.sure they will run or shrink from you......but in "fear" .

However, I had rather that they come running to me when they see me......so when I go out to "gather" my little "angels"......I smile through my gritted teeth. :D I have no problem getting them out from where they are. They see me and they come a runnin'. :weee If they have managed to get into a fenced areaI can reach over and pick them up. !@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@! :he

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LMAO@LadyHawk

I am so grateful for my silkies and their inability to get more then 2 ft off the ground with their messed up feathers! LOL They actually have to beg me to open the gate to let them in. And most the time I'm a sucker and I let them in. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a few escapes yesterday- the gate got a little mangled due to snow/ice. They found a few spots without snow and went to town!!! I couldn't believe how much grass they dug up in a matter of minutes!!! Love those chickens! The first year I had chickens I had a 4 foot fence. I got a lot of exercise that year, chasing birds all over the place! Now, that I have a 6 foot fence, very few problems...