Did something stupid yesterday

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was making a salsa for fish out of papaya & roasted red peppers. It happened to call for a diced jalepeno pepper. I walked up to the garden and picked a nice red one. Now I know that you should wear gloves when cutting peppers, but I thought surely just one won't bother me. WRONG!! My fingers burned for about 5 hours. I rubbed aloe on them and even dipped them in ice water for a couple of hours. I sure did learn my lesson :/ I'm gonna get some disposable gloves today.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am assured, by a male colleague in grad school who told the story much better than I do, that what's *really* a bad idea is to process hot peppers barehanded and then go use the washroom (we are talking male, here) without thoroughly washing your hands ;)

Pat

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
my wife diced to make some hot hot salsa for me one day, she used a towell to dry her hands and latter forgot she used it. she wiped the sweat off her face with it and boy did she cry. her face and eyes where beat red. I don't remember what we did to get ride of it, but she say's she is never making me salsa again. I must say though, it was goooood.I guess it's true when she say's dinner is always better when she hurts her self. love-pain all part of the circle of life that makes food taste better. sorry for anguish though ouch.

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yikes!! That must have hurt!

punkin said:
I was making a salsa for fish out of papaya & roasted red peppers. It happened to call for a diced jalepeno pepper. I walked up to the garden and picked a nice red one. Now I know that you should wear gloves when cutting peppers, but I thought surely just one won't bother me. WRONG!! My fingers burned for about 5 hours. I rubbed aloe on them and even dipped them in ice water for a couple of hours. I sure did learn my lesson :/ I'm gonna get some disposable gloves today.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah--I learned that one the really hard way last summer, too, after canning 7 pints of peppers (including habaneros) with no gloves. Duh! Now I can't bring myself to eat the things!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A couple of years ago some kid at my son's school snuck in some hot peppers he got from hishouse.
He brought them to the lunchroom and was daring kids to take bites, of course some young boys have no sense at all sometimes and want to show off, they were nibbling on them and then opening them up to try the seeds and then some of the kids rubbed their eyes afterwards.
7or 8 boys ended up in the nurse's office having their eyes rinsed and their parents called.
I think they will be staying away from peppers for a while.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
milk is the best thing to lessen the burn....for future reference ;)

Latest posts