Did you know 5W 30

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Did you know: You can put 5W 30 oil in Briggs & Stratton Engines that call for 30W ~ Briggs says so ```

By the by I, yesterday, changed the oil in the Log splitter ~ started it after the long heavy winter ~ split a couple rounds ~ Then ~ it stopped running and demanded the Carb be taken apart and cleaned ! ~ I pulled it off and apart ~ damaged the gasket ~ so had to make a new one ~ didn't have hole punches ! ~ had to use a one sided razor blade to cut the holes ~ But ~ It worked/works great better than ever, split some rounds ~ forgot my gloves upstairs ~ hands were covered with Fir pitch and bleeding in a couple places ~ not sure why ~ The point is: You and I can use 5W 30 ~ you got that didn't you ```

very truly your

Richard

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you know: You can put 5W 30 oil in Briggs & Stratton Engines that call for 30W ~ Briggs says so ```

By the by I, yesterday, changed the oil in the Log splitter ~ started it after the long heavy winter ~ split a couple rounds ~ Then ~ it stopped running and demanded the Carb be taken apart and cleaned ! ~ I pulled it off and apart ~ damaged the gasket ~ so had to make a new one ~ didn't have hole punches ! ~ had to use a one sided razor blade to cut the holes ~ But ~ It worked/works great better than ever, split some rounds ~ forgot my gloves upstairs ~ hands were covered with Fir pitch and bleeding in a couple places ~ not sure why ~ The point is: You and I can use 5W 30 ~ you got that didn't you ```

very truly your

Richard

yes, the lower number is for winter viscousity isn't it? ok, i just checked to be sure. yes, the W stands for Winter. so for something like a machine you will only be using in warmer weather the higher number is what counts. :) the recommended higher weight number will be important (and ghu help those who have to deal with 2 stroke engines)...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

very truly your

Richard
It is wonderful that you can REALLY fix things that would cost a fortune to have someone do it for you.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, the lower number is for winter viscousity isn't it? ok, i just checked to be sure. yes, the W stands for Winter. so for something like a machine you will only be using in warmer weather the higher number is what counts. :) the recommended higher weight number will be important (and ghu help those who have to deal with 2 stroke engines)...

Well, depends on who you listen to ~ some say it stands for Weight as in 30W ~ but there are sites that say winter as you pointed out ```

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
On summer use items, I go with with straight 30W. Items that you use year around, multi viscosity. I don’t like switching viscosities or brands Of oil. Asking for problems.

10W30 is light enough for Northern Indiana.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought multi weight oil would be to light for engines that called for 30 back when ~ that the tolerances would be too large ~ Many people weren't as brave as you ~ I'm talking about Journeyman Mechanics ```
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know that Automakers are rethinking the use of 5W 20 ~ Ford in now suggesting 5W 30 for engines they had required 5W 20 ~ even Ford Tech is suggesting 5W 30 in the Triton engine ```

And the weather is fine ```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought multi weight oil would be to light for engines that called for 30 back when ~ that the tolerances would be too large ~ Many people weren't as brave as you ~ I'm talking about Journeyman Mechanics ```
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know that Automakers are rethinking the use of 5W 20 ~ Ford in now suggesting 5W 30 for engines they had required 5W 20 ~ even Ford Tech is suggesting 5W 30 in the Triton engine ```

And the weather is fine ```

snow all gone? :)

Latest posts