Dirt - want to play?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , the keys were to tighten roller skates to conventional shoes. I remember having those skates but it must have also been when I was 6. We lived in town that year but before I was 7 had moved to a farm where there was no paved driveway, let alone a sidewalk.

i remember seeing the clamp on roller skates for shoes before but i never saw how they were put on. we roller skated at a roller-rink and those were the type of roller skates that you took off your shoes and put on the skates when you rented them. all of my older siblings were good at roller skating.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can remember 14 of them. I did not remember Blackjack Gum at all. I don't know if it wasn't around where I was or that I just don't like licorice. I'm sure metal ice cube trays were still around and being used but I don't remember them. I'd heard of bottled milk delivery but our milk was delivered twice a day by our milk cow.

I remember 8 homes on our party telephone line. Each had a special ring, ours was a long and a short. If you placed a call you had to go through an operator, you could not dial it yourself. Anybody on your party line could pick up and listen in. If you pick up to place a call you could hear anybody already talking on the line. The polite thing to do was to hang up and some people did.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:D

@so lucky said on Seedcorn 's thread that she was tired of olde guys dominating the conversation and reminiscing about the way things were.

So ... tell me what you want enlightened on and I'll mansplain it to you.

dirty digitS'
When I was growing up, the old guys were by far the worst gossips.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went to drive in movies, ate candy cigarettes, owned 45's, had a party line, bought pop out of a machine, knew men with butch haircuts, rode in a Studebaker, heard of Blackjack, took home ec, went to plenty of 5 and dimes. I have a picture of me in first grade with a Roy Roger's metal lunchbox, my mother had talking books for the blind, not sure if there was a book, heard of Boone's Farm, had metal ice trays for long time, wish I still had some, heard of keys for skates, but never owned, heard of home delivery, but we went with glass bottles to a dairy for raw milk, ate lots of wax coke bottle candey.

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cylinders?! Whoa ;).

View attachment 43940

This reminds me of Dad when I was a little guy. We didn't live where there was a tv station until I was 6. Then, only 1 station existed for several years.

Yes, we had some 78's to play music but 45's came out sometime in there. Those must have been what were in books, 78's were as big as LP's. That's the only thing that I'm not sure of in the entire list, books with records. There weren't many books bought when I was a kid. So, I'm right up there with remembering 16 or 17.

Everything else is absolutely familiar ... altho I don't know if I ever had reason to use Butch wax. Boone Farm was very popular when I was young but I (mostly) resisted ;). On the other hand ... I had milk delivery when I was in college :D.

@flowerbug , the keys were to tighten roller skates to conventional shoes. I remember having those skates but it must have also been when I was 6. We lived in town that year but before I was 7 had moved to a farm where there was no paved driveway, let alone a sidewalk.

dirty digitS'
I played clay records as a kindergarten kiddo.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll put this here ... after a long drive in a NEW, 2021 Studebaker!

zdashboard.jpg

Latest posts