Disappearing Cantaloupe

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
baymule said:
strantor said:
hoodat said:
If it was an animal it wouldn't have carried it off, but eaten it on the spot, in which case you would see bits and pieces of it around.
I suspect it was a human as well, but for the record...
My dog knows she isn't supposed to get into the cat food, but she does it anyway. I've caught her in the act a couple of times, so she figured out that eating it on the spot is a bust. She's started climbing up on the shelf where the cat food bowl is, grabbing the bowl in her mouth (keeping it upright) and climbing down ever so slowly and gracefully so as not to spill any. once she gets on the ground with the food, she makes a b-line for the back yard and takes it behind the garage to eat it. She will not eat it from the dish though; once she gets back there, she dumps it out in the grass and then eats it. She hasn't yet figured out that in order to seal the deal and cover her tracks, she needs to bring the dish back and put it where she got it.
Is there any way you could get that on video? You could win the $10,000 prize on funniest home videos! :lol:
Haha, if I ever do, I'll upload it to youtube and post a link back here.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww... no one got my joke. :( I was just kidding around.... I recently had someone take all my apples off my trees. I was very upset as I only had about a dozen good size ones this year.

I was just thinking maybe they should make a "people be gone" spray... I'd use it!!! :D

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
I was just thinking maybe they should make a "people be gone" spray... I'd use it!!! :D
Pepper-Spray1.jpg

It's called OC, and it will definitely make people be gone.

I didn't look like the guy in that image when I got hit with it. I looked more like this girl:
oc_spray.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a run of bad luck. I sure hope things get better soon for you.

It does sound like a human cantaloupe thief. You may have a hungry person nearby. I'd think about putting up a note at your garden for the hungry person asking them not to steal from your garden, but offering them cans of food, old blankets, clothes, maybe a tarp, and even a bit of help finding them some work.

I'd be very upset too, maybe even almost raging. Good cantaloupes are one of the more difficult things to grow, and one of the most anticipated crops of all!

Cantaloupes don't ripen much after picking, so if they picked it not ripe and ate it, it probably tasted almost like a sweet cucumber, but you found no pieces tossed anywhere. It was a hungry person, homeless, maybe a daysleeper.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Awww... no one got my joke. :( I was just kidding around.... I recently had someone take all my apples off my trees. I was very upset as I only had about a dozen good size ones this year.

Maybe just some purple dye like they use in bank bags for robbers. I could look for whoever has a purple face! :D

sharppa

Sprout
Reaction score
I just heard a story the other day from my wife's cousin. Their 50 pound dog stole a cantaloupe off their kitchen counter and devoured the entire thing. Rind, seeds, everything. Any dogs wandering around in your neighborhood?

Strange that the straw is gone. Why would a human take some straw?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum. Beats the heck out of me why anyone would move the straw, unless they were trying to destroy the evidence of the cantaloupe's existence.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED!! Today my DH told me he spotted something in the soybean field behind our house that looked like a cantaloupe, so I checked it out. Sure enough, there it was, about 30 feet from the garden. It had turned kind of ripe looking, and had 4 puncture wounds, not terribly deep, the right spacing for a raccoon. It didn't seem harmed, so I took it in and cut it open. Nice little melon, about half the size of a normal melon. It was sweet and very juicy, despite spending 4 days off the vine in the sun. I think if the rest of them are allowed to ripen on the vine, they will be fantastic. Guess that raccoon got tired of carrying it, or got scared off. So--Happy ending to the melon kidnapping case. :D

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am glad the cantaloupe caper has been solved. If it had been me it would have driven me nuts to not know. I hope the rest ripen for you with no more trouble.