Disappearing Ink on Receipts

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
After this winter it looks like I lost a lot of new plants. I have been saving my receipts in a ziplock bag. Last night I started to go through them. Some are so faded I needed to use a maginfing glass. They where stored in a dark desk draw, never in sunlight. In order to return dead plant I must show receipt. Wonder if they use disappearing ink so you can return. guess I am just in a mood today lol.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I ran into that dilemma years ago when saving my receipts for daycare. They use thermal ink, heat sensitive. You can apply an iron or possibly a blow dryer and the ink will reappear, usually enough to read it... then make a copy of it.

Many stores have stopped using it, but some still do, apparently.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that what's going on???

I sometimes look at old gas receipts in the pickup - faded to nothing!!

Of course, growing season receipts are business expenses and migrate into a file folder. They are fine . . .

Let's see, gas in 2004 was $2.16/gallon. . . Gas in 2008 was $3.96/gallon . . ! Ummm, 2008 was such a good year . . . for somebody.

:rolleyes: Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know about heat bringing it back (good to know!), but I did find out that contact with plain old tape will make it vanish overnight!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I would still try returning some of those plants but make sure you take a magnifying glass. I used to take plants back to Home Depot but now they require that they come back with the original container. Who has time or space to save those things? I don't bother anymore. But I must be getter better because I seldom have plants that don't make it. Besides, now that my garden is pretty much landscaped, I don't buy much other than some annuals.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK, this used to work on receipts, new paper is more heat sensitive than years ago and will turn black if heated too much.

Other tips

If you paid with a credit card the store may be able to look up your purchase... most big stores have a record of everything you purchase with a card.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just be careful, you can blacken the whole thing. Fast food receipts are thermal, too. That's why sometimes you get one with black patches on it, from the heat table the food is stored.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The original container? Well that's what you get for selling a subpar product to even more uninformed buyers.

That's just a way to not have to pony up. Shame on them

Latest posts