Disappointing potatoes

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I dug up my potatoes yesterday and was quite disappointed in the yield. I couldn't really wait any longer, because the plants were yellowing and some of the stalks were starting to rot. My total harvest, from three bags of seed potatoes, only filled a five gallon bucket. Each plant had two or three small potatoes and that's it. Any suggestions for what I did wrong? Anything that increases potato yield that you can help me with? I'd appreciate any advice.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What has your weather been like this summer? Hot dry wet cool?

It may have been a bad batch of potato seed bags to start with?

I would think it was the weather or soil conditions first of all.

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We had a lot of rain in June (near Madison, WI), then pretty dry July and August, but I watered weekly. The soil is not ideal, as it had grown corn for 20+ years straight before we bought the place, but last year my potato crop was much better. Maybe you're right and the seed potatoes were just a bad batch.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's disappointing :( I'm near Madison, too, and had the same weather issues but so far our potatoes have been okay. Is the soil fairly decent--soft, fertile, etc?

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I don't think the soil is all that fertile. It got pretty worn out with years of corn and chemical fertilizers. I've been adding llama manure and other compost, and each year the garden is a little better. I've been disappointed in everything, not just potatoes, but last year was definitely a better potato crop than this year. I just had high hopes because the plants had looked so healthy all summer. I guess there's always next year.

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Besides adding compost, which you're already doing, I have good results from using Root Crops Alive, a product specifically for - you guessed it! - root crops. It's available by catalog from Gardens Alive.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is disappointing!:( I imagine that you dug deep enough to make sure there weren't any lurkers hiding down deep?

After 20 years of corn growing, that soil is depleted badly. That's why they probably could only grow corn after heavy fertilizer usage. Your doing the right thing by getting the lama manure added! I would be tempted to round up all, and any, organic compounds you can find, and add them in this winter. Neighbors fallen leaves, local cattle, chicken, and horse barns manure, grass clippings, seaweed if your near the ocean, and dig them in. A few bales of straw thrown over top this winter, and dug in early spring, or grow a winter green crop you can dig in, clover, fall rye, etc., will help as well.
Ashes would be fine to add, but if your planning on growing more spuds, you may want to go light on them.

With patience, and perseverance, you should be able to get that soil back to really good condition within a few years. :)

Latest posts