Disappointment at the Grocery Store

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Most stores order fruits from other countries ( to sell them CHEAP), they picked them so soon and takes a while for them to ripen before they get on the shelves. Thats what theres no good flavor. I think its a waste of money.. So support your local farmers we need them !!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Agreed. On MidAmerican Gardener one of the hosts was talking about the Red Delicious apples that are shipped from Oregan and Washington--apologies to all you who grow your own there--that are huge and have 4 "feet" on the bottom. They look great, but are totally tasteless. Contrariwise, the RD's that we grow in our backyard are so flavorful, but they never get that big.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
part of the reason i've been looking into getting my own trees. i like RD but i tend to look for the medium fruits when i can find them at the store. sort of like strawberries and blueberries-smaller always seems to be better with the taste!

Monsanto and any other GMO company doesn't really need to try and 'make' an apple tree that the fruit don't turn brown when the flesh is exposed. my favorite apple Cripp's Pink aka Pink Lady doesn't brown very quickly! has a nice sweet taste- at least to me.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bit into the most delicious looking peach bought from the grocery store. I could not even finish it-a rare choice for me. It was so mealy-no juice. We did get one good batch from the store but I think thats over with. I have a peach tree that will give me little or no peaches this year because of the drought. In a good year, I have frozen a dozen gallons or more of prepared peaches. They are the sweetest little darlings you could ever taste. However, they wouldn't even keep over night on the kitchen counter without going bad. I hope the local orchards will have fresh peaches this fall. As far as hybridized fruits go I sympathize with such a precarious business as farmers are in. If my crops fail I can go to the store. If they have unsellable fruit they lose the farm.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
To me the fresh vegetable department looks like perfect beautiful poison. I just can't muster up any enthusiam for vegetables that I know have been drenched in glyphosphate and who knows what. Especially if it is imported from another country-just what have they vegetables been sprayed with? Who knows? I skip the canned department too. I know what I grow is better. We have become seasonal eaters. We won't eat store bought eggs either. Meat-we're working on, bought 1/2 of a calf 8 months ago, almost gone now. I don't buy much fruits because they look like a picture of perfection, but taste like nothing.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i laughed when i went to the grocery store and wanted to check out their garlic. it wasn't the prices that made me upset. it was the fact that the regular garlic was grown in the US while the 'organic' was labeled from Mexico! i don't honestly know how high Mexico's standards are in line with the US's regulations on 'organic' but that just scared me enough to back away from both.

Latest posts