Distressing Tomato Problem

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kassaundras problem is not an herbicide. There is absolutely no indication or symptoms of herbicidal contamination. The symptoms and circumstances also do not point to water wilt. There is, however, every indication of bacterial infection. Without seeing the roots, I can only speculate. It could also be root knot nematodes, but it's unlikely since the onset of symptoms was so sudden. The symptoms she described are textbook Bacterial Wilt. Dipping the stem in a glass of water will tell the tale, if it's not too late.

@MontyJ, what will dipping the stem in a glass of water show? How soon does it need to be done?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry everyone I can't post at work, just read. The roots were pristine no nodules no soft, no discoloration. They were well formed and well spread. I did not see the post in time about putting the stem in water. There was no sign of fungus or discoloration or spots or any deformity or any abnormality that could be seen by the eyes. The stems were thick and firm and green, the leaves were whole in tact (no holes or eaten areas) no splotches, there was nothing that could be seen w/ the naked eye, or felt w/ fingers to indicated disease. I agree the problem was not any herbicide or any other "icide" It was either bacterial or water wilt.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kassaundras problem is not an herbicide. There is absolutely no indication or symptoms of herbicidal contamination. The symptoms and circumstances also do not point to water wilt. There is, however, every indication of bacterial infection. Without seeing the roots, I can only speculate. It could also be root knot nematodes, but it's unlikely since the onset of symptoms was so sudden. The symptoms she described are textbook Bacterial Wilt. Dipping the stem in a glass of water will tell the tale, if it's not too late.
Okay I found a stem to try, I dipped it in a glass of water and nothing happened. What was suppose to happen?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry t hear about your tomato problems Kassaundra! That's just awful!
I thought first the fusarium and verticillium wilt too....but doing further research...I found it under bacterial wilt. Whoever already mentioned it.
Here is what I found;

Tomato Diseases: How to Identify and Treat Bacterial Wilt
Bacterial wilt (also called "southern bacterial wilt") is a disease caused by a bacterium, Pseuclomonas solanacearum, which lives in the soil. Its symptoms are different from other tomato wilt diseases. When bacterial wilt attacks, foliage doesn’t become yellow and spotted. Rather, the plant wilts and dies quickly with little warning.

Bacteria work their way up through the plant’s roots or stem, most often where plants have been cut, injured or weakened by transplanting, cultivation, insects, or other diseases. They clog water-conducting tissue in the stem. Water and nutrients can’t reach branches and leaves, starving the plant. The plant dies.

What does bacterial wilt look like?

bacterial-wilt.jpg

Photo: Oregon State University Plant Disease Clinic

• Foliage wilts suddenly
  • Foliage remains green
  • Interior of main stem (when split) is dark and water-soaked, the result of plugged water-conducting tissue. In late stages, the stem may become hollow.

When does it affect plants?
Bacteria are most active in temperatures above 75ºF, in wet conditions, and when soil has a high pH."

On a site called tomatodirtdotcom.

I had never heard of it either...nor had it happen to mine as of yet. Good luck with it! Keep us posted!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay I found a stem to try, I dipped it in a glass of water and nothing happened. What was suppose to happen?

It may have been too late to test for BW using the water trick, or the stem was from the wrong area of the plant. What usually happens is when you dip an infected stem into clear water, a milky substance will form around the cut. What Moxie posted is spot on. A lab would be able to confirm the presence of BW in the plant tissue.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The stem was freshly picked off an affected plant in the most wilted part. I was bad an left one affected plant (the least affected) but will remove it. The term least affected is miss leading, it was badly affected just not quite as bad as the rest.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a similar problem last year. Ended up being juglone poisoning from a nearby black walnut tree

Latest posts