Distressing Tomato Problem

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a distressing mystery in my garden. My tomatoes yesterday were healthy and loaded w/ green tomatoes. I just went out to look at the garden and half or more of my 4 - 5 foot tall tomato plants are totally completely wilted, the whole plants. These were the picture of health and beauty yesterday morning. No yellowing, no distress until now, no holes or preditor attack, just completely wilted like the middle of summer w/o water, but we have had rain for days. Any ideas?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No signs of mole tunnels or anything like that? Digging?

Perhaps something along the lines of nematodes or root mealybugs? My okra had a big problem with root mealybugs last year, it still didn't stop them from producing a great crop though.

How many plants do you have? Would it hurt to pull one up/ dig down a little bit and inspect the roots?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I will be interested in what others have to say. My first inclination would be stem borers of some type. They can damage a plant quickly. I usually pull off the droopy part to just below the damage and hope for the best.

Someone here will know.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These are completely wilted, the whole 4-5 foot plant to the ground in 24 - 36 hours.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No signs of mole tunnels or anything like that? Digging?

Perhaps something along the lines of nematodes or root mealybugs? My okra had a big problem with root mealybugs last year, it still didn't stop them from producing a great crop though.

How many plants do you have? Would it hurt to pull one up/ dig down a little bit and inspect the roots?
I will have to anyway since they are all but dead and were awesome yesterday.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always blame problems in the roots for things like that. I'm no professional and never had more than a few plants of any species go down quickly like that.

SeedO' may have the answer but my experience with the four-legged pests with that kind of potential has been with gophers and voles. It seems like you would have to find some evidence of their activity even if it is just loose soil.

@marshallsmyth had so much gopher trouble that he hasn't been growing tomatoes for several seasons . . . o_O.

Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am sure I will be digging them up tomorrow as bad as they looked today. It is horrible b/c it was the best tomato year I've had in a loooong time. To late to replant now, even if I could find plants.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Too late to plant tomatoes in OK? That would be a big disappointment. Maybe you'll find somebody somewhere selling late tomato starts?

Oh well, hopefully you'll be able to figure out what happened to them so you can prevent it from happening again. Don't forget to bring the magnifying glass.

Latest posts