Do I need to stake my sunflowers?

mcdaid36

Sprout
Reaction score
My sunflowers are all in a row, right out in the open, to act as a "living wall" in between my patio and lawn. I get nervous when it's really windy during a storm, and have lost a couple that have been blown to the ground. Should I stake the rest out? I was thinking of putting a stake on either end of the row and then running string from one stake to the other on one side of the flowers, then tying off and running another string about a foot higher on the stake on the other side of the flowers. I'd keep adding support strings as they grew higher. Does this sound crazy or will they be OK with the wind when they are tall and heavy with a flower?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Maybe they are susceptible to the wind because of being in a single row. Out here in the fields they do really well but I think its because of being to thinkly planted. maybe try adding a few more rows if thats an option. Otherwise I like your string idea.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mine are all planted on a hillside and we do get windstorms here but I find the stems to be so thick and hard they do not fall over ..but if yours do why risk it I would stake them

mine are all over the place and already the tops are turning to follow the sun I can not wait until the flowers open they are just so beautiful aren't they?

got any pictures to share?

mcdaid36

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will just go ahead and stake them. The stems don't seen to be that thick, the plants seem tall and spindly. We've had weird and cooler than normal weather here so far this summer. If it gets above 75 degrees during the day, it's a hot one. Usually by now we're in the 80's everyday. Last night was 50! We still dress in pants and sweatshirts until lunchtime. It's very odd!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have mine clumped in a 4x4' garden against a play house. It looks nice... but the wind does bother them. If they were in a single row I would stake them. Planted in groups they survive just fine otherwise.

Pattydukester

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Maine...windy and rainy....I have put stakes on my sunflowers because many have broken in high winds. Some of mine are now over 8 ft tall, so I do my best to protect them.....

Latest posts