Do I thin out Cilantro?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My cilantro is doing great in my herb garden, but I'm not sure if I need to thin it out like I do my basil? Or do I leave it full...This is my first year growing cilantro and I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly. Thanks for any advice! :happy_flower

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honestly, it grows like a weed. If you feel like thinning, go ahead, but it is probably not necessary. A word of warning- if you do not want cilantro everywhere in your gardens (and I do mean 50 feet away)- do not let too much of go to seed. If you want the corriander, harvest what you want and get rid of the rest. I love cilantro- but I was shocked at the places I found it this year!! Enjoy!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only cilantro that requires any horizontal space in my garden are those plants that have wintered over. Otherwise, it just stays small, develops that feather foliage, and bolts to seed . . .

I once asked someone who knew something about the commercial cilantro trade about why it is available throughout the year in the markets when I can't have it even thru the summer. She said that it is grown in greenhouses . . . even during the summer. Oh!

My part of the world is dry and hot outdoors during the summer but I understand that some folks sow cilantro in containers and find appropriate locations for the plants. I guess that might be somewhat shaded from the afternoon sun. They keep the supply going by resowing and resowing.
:idunno

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's one of the herbs I would keep in pots before letting into the ground because they grow like crazy!!!

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses :D I think I will thin it out in my salsa & maybe a little, I'll let go to seed...I'll just feed it to my chickens if it becomes too out of control, I didn't realize it was so invasive :hu...thanks again!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
not invasive, just eat a lot of salsa.........

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just bought some "summer cilantro" at the NC farmer's market last weekend. The leaves looked more like dill, but the flavor was definitely cilantro. I asked for the latin name, but failed to write it down - and promptly forgot it! I was visiting a friend, so I can't go back to ask again - at least not any time soon.

I have been trying to look it up to find it, but to no avail!
Has anyone heard of a cilantro that those of us in hot areas can grow in the summer? Mine bolted a loooong time ago. :rolleyes:

Sorry - don't mean to hijack thread, but it IS about cilantro!

Latest posts