do we have a plant propagation/breeding section?(Daylily question too)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i was looking for an appropriate place to ask this question:

Does anyone know the Ploidy of Hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanso"

there seems to be some confusion online. ive read that is diploid and triploid. everyone seems to be in agreement that it cannot reproduce from seeds BUT i was wondering if i pollinated another variety with it if those seeds would be viable?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have that same daylily and have been wondering the same thing so...this year I tried an experiment with two other daylilies in my yard. I tried to pollinate my Rhinestone Kid and my 'something something pink' with the Kwanso. Both put on seeds which is hopeful-but are probably a mistake.
I am pleased at how easily dayliles are to propagate-if you follow the rules-of course. I have seeds from last year started. Plants from seeds from the previous year that have not bloomed yet and now the original plants have seed pods like crazy on them-biggest crop yet! I don't care what the color is at this point -as long as they bloom-but I'm hoping for some of that double petal beauty this year.
I try to plant Dips. near Dips., and trips. by trips.-just to help everybody along-but when theres conflicting information on their variety-it makes it very hard-huh?

So anyway-try it and let us know if you get viable seeds.
Oh and I keep my seeds in the fridge until the following springs to plant them, but you probably already know that.
Gotta love them day lilies-I never appreciated them as a youngster, but would take a yard full of them now. lol

cheryli

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Kwanso is a a strange one - actual a Triploid daylily - it has three sets of chromosomes, and doesn't set seed but on the oddest of circumastances.

You'll get many more seeds using other daylilies with your favorites. You do have to know if your daylilies are diploids or tetraploid (2 or 4 sets of chromosomes).

Cheryl

Latest posts