Do you cook some of your garden produce for the hens?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or, just serve it to 'em raw?

Or, never give them anything that doesn't come from the feed store?

Steve

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My hens like to serve themselves, kind of like a salad bar. My challenge for next summer is to allow them to free range and not demolish the garden.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
poppycat said:
My hens like to serve themselves, kind of like a salad bar. My challenge for next summer is to allow them to free range and not demolish the garden.
Yeah, I'm having the same issue / dilemma. We have limited space in the back yard and it is going to be tricky to decide on garden or free range hens... it seems the two are mutually exclusive without a lot of netting / wire.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nifty & Poppycat, I don't seem to have that problem at all but then again, there aren't many chicken delights in my tiny backyard garden. The larger veggie gardens are elsewhere.

I haven't owned a rooster in a coon's age, I'm sure that makes a difference. The hens are barely able to venture into the garden on the other side of the little greenhouse because it is out of view. And, there's a St. Bernard on the other side of the fence - oh, no!! The old dog pays absolutely no attention to the birds. Finally, our hens haven't been exactly free rangers. We spend a good deal of time in our backyard during the nicer weather. Generally, I try to only have the hens out when we can be there with 'em.

When I lived out in the country, the large veggie garden was some distance from the barn, corral, chicken house where the birds tended to hang out. Once again, if I wasn't home the birds went back in their yard - always a simple process with a handful of treats.

And, that's what I'm interested in mostly - having good things for the hens (& us!) out of the garden.

Steve

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My chickens free range & my EE babies went wild for the squash!! We usually have more than we can eat anyways.
My older chickens love the squash raw too.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I found out that my girls LOVE carrot greens. So in spring, you bet I'm going to sow more carrots!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bayouchica were the chicks eating raw squash?!?

Buff, I find that just about the favorite peelings are those from carrots. All I need to do is put them in the microwave for a minute, allow them to cool, and they get gobbled-up!

Steve

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DigitS, they always snubbed the peelings, but I never thought of nuking them first! I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bayouchica were the chicks eating raw squash?!?
Yeah, the little thieves,lol.

100_2443.jpg

Latest posts