Do you eat pea sprouts/shoots/greens?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i don't think i've ever had a fresh mung bean sprout. i've eaten probably hundreds of pounds of canned bean sprouts. i'm sure they're not the same thing in taste or flavor, but some day i will find out. just not any time soon. :)

back in the day when Mom was cooking more creatively she found a recipe for what was called Diet Chili, the basic changes were there were less beans in it, there were mushrooms added and a few cans of bean sprouts. it was pretty good and we ate a lot of that over the years. i don't think she's made it in 20yrs or more now though.
Flowerbug,
You would love these fresh mung bean sprouts I bet! I used to use them in countless stir fries! I've never tried growing them myself, but I should!

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put one of these on top of a regular 1020 tray for pea sprouts. It's nice because the roots all twine together and you don't need to use any other medium. That said, using coir or something similar is probably a little more forgiving moisture-wise.

I just cut off what I want with scissors, lawnmower style. This makes a LOT and it's hard for me to eat them all fast enough, but we have guinea pigs that likes them and honestly they're so cheap to grow that I would rather have a little extra than not enough.

I bought a 5 lb bag of organic, untreated field pea cover crop seeds from Johnny's on clearance at the local garden store for this years ago and still have most of it after many, many trays.

If you do use coir or a similar medium your worm buckets will love you. They like the plain pea sprout roots fine too but I use coir for some stuff and I feel like the coir mixed with roots makes for a pretty ideal balanced mix for them.

I also used to do mung beans just in a quart jar with one of these on top. I eat those roots and all.

If you just want to try the sprouts out you can probably do it for the cost of the beans from the grocery store. You can do the same thing pouring the water through your fingers, the top just makes it easier if you do this often. If you don't have one of these tops you can use a screw band and paper towels to keep fruit flies out.

I used to do a lot more microgreens because it was a good use of my grow lights in the non-growing season, but I've been lazy for the last few years. This Youtube channel is pretty great:

Here's their pea video which is almost exactly how I do it:

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
2021-12-12 22.26.08.jpg

Thanks for putting this idea in my head :)

Also I accidentally deleted the wrong post so - I really like brassicas sprouts. Radish and rapeseed seeds are cheap in bulk as cover crops, just make sure they're organic and untreated. Asian greens are also good. The 'Rambo' in the above pic is a radish though I got all of these as actual sprouting seeds last Christmas.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I harvested all the top leaves from broad beans today, yummy. Broad beans will have a lot of side shoots, and this is why I planted them in the autumn - using their leaves as the leafy greens.

View attachment 46483
That sounds fun to try! Once I made a salad out of the leafy greens from some radishes in my garden! They were surprisingly good!

Latest posts