Do you ever just put a spice seed in a pot to see what happens?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I look at my whole spices and know I could never grow a 40 ft tropical tree here ..but I would like to try to do a potted tree I could put out in the summer take it in in the winter

and really what can it hurt and I just would like to try

anyone just stick a whole nutmeg in a pot of dirt? I have in the shell nutmegs with the mace taken off I am going to soak it and put it in dirt and see what happens

I wonder if I just plant my allspice berries if they are growable

but the star anise ..that is such a hard seed ..I have to try!

anyone else curious enough ..or have you already done it and want to share?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I have never tried any of those but I do use spice seeds from my spice cabinet. I frequently plant coriander, anise (the Pimpinella species, not the Star), and dill.

I read that the Nutmeg is both Male and Female plants. So you would be required to have both in order to pollinate for fruit. They are tropical and require warmth and humidity with year-round water. This tells me that a year-round greenhouse would be required outside of the tropics. It is possible to keep them alive in an atrium with the right settings.

Here is an article on growing Allspice; it appears that this is ideal for an indoor potted environment. http://www.ehow.com/how_2099075_grow-allspice.html

Wishing you Luck. It never hurts to try. Currently I have four coffee (Arabica) plants in my kitchen and although it would require years to ever get any fruit on them I am optimistic and keeping them healthy. :p:p

Ron

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I look at my whole spices and know I could never grow a 40 ft tropical tree here ..but I would like to try to do a potted tree I could put out in the summer take it in in the winter

and really what can it hurt and I just would like to try

anyone just stick a whole nutmeg in a pot of dirt? I have in the shell nutmegs with the mace taken off I am going to soak it and put it in dirt and see what happens

I wonder if I just plant my allspice berries if they are growable

but the star anise ..that is such a hard seed ..I have to try!

anyone else curious enough ..or have you already done it and want to share?
Ive tried a few seeds from the spice rack, and so far have had my usual dismal results. The last one I tried, cumin, did nothing but stink up the sprouting pad.

Latest posts