Do you have a favorite book on vegetable gardening?

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought the book "Guide to North Carolina Vegetable Gardening" which had good reviews on Amazon. I always get confused when to plant fall and spring veggie and end up with nothing. So I am hoping this book will make me a MASTER Vegetable gardener. No I just hope it helps me keep from feeding a bunch of scrawny plants that did not produce anything to my chickens.

Last year my garden gave me a handful of tomatoes and ton of cucumbers. Other than that it tanked.

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like the Vegetable's Gardener's Bible. I've found it very helpful. I also have a few books on Texas gardening that mention vegetable gardening, but I usually go to the Gardener's Bible first to look something up.

Bebop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a couple that I like:
You Grow Girl - I didn't have much to garden with, and it was from the perspective of those with "postage stamp" gardens, balconies, and otherwise "no land". Really great info on organic bug sprays, compost, and homemade fertilizers.

Rodale's Book to Successful Organic Vegetable Gardening - Love this one. Not a huge book, but it has all the essentials and more.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have tons of gardening books; however, my favorite is 'Crockett's Victory Garden, 1977, by James Underwood Crockett (companion to the old PBS TV series, "Victory Garden.")

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive mentioned it before. Carrots love tomatoes. about companion planting, I like the original 1970's version better than the revised.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
gone 2 seed said:
I bought the book "Guide to North Carolina Vegetable Gardening" which had good reviews on Amazon. I always get confused when to plant fall and spring veggie and end up with nothing. So I am hoping this book will make me a MASTER Vegetable gardener. No I just hope it helps me keep from feeding a bunch of scrawny plants that did not produce anything to my chickens.

Last year my garden gave me a handful of tomatoes and ton of cucumbers. Other than that it tanked.
I think I better look into this book.... most my gardening last year was in pots on the deck. 3 tomato plants (my roma's gave me like 2 tomatoes) and about 3 heads of lettuce. VERY sad indeed.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Around here it's the Edible Garden by Sunset and recently my DW brought home The Gardenr's Common Sense Guide To Gardening In The Midwest by Kay Melia. The latter was written by a gentleman from Goodland Kansas.:)

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Finaaly got the book today. I will let you know once I get a chance to really read it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok good, let me know how to like it... maybe share some tips?! ;)

I would imagine is said something like... whatever you do, do NOT plant anything in NC clay!!!! LOL :lol: