Do you have a favorite book on vegetable gardening?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bebop said:
Rodale's Book to Successful Organic Vegetable Gardening - Love this one. Not a huge book, but it has all the essentials and more.
My favorite too. I think I have an old edition - Rodale's Garden Problem Solver. I've read it cover to cover several times.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ok good, let me know how to like it... maybe share some tips?! ;)

I would imagine is said something like... whatever you do, do NOT plant anything in NC clay!!!! LOL :lol:
It is okay but leaves out a lot. I was a little dissapointed. I find that I am sticking things inside the cover like a when to plant guide from the feed store and a printout on companion planting.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Month by month gardening in Pa. By Liz Ball

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just got the Southern Living Gardening Guide. It is really good for the south cause our zone doesn't give enough information. The amount of extreme heat and humidity here will defiantly limit what will grow.

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like Barbara Damrosch's Garden Primer. I have the first edition but I believe there's a second edition out now.

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Steve Soloman's Gardening when it counts is my favorite. It just covers veggies and assumes you're gardening to save money so he doesn't tell you to buy a bunch of stuff. I just finished reading it cover to cover. I also like The garden primer as a general reference.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am a first time veggie gardener this year and the books are getting tons of use.

So far these are the ones I find most helpful:

1. Vegetable Gardening from Reader's Digest by Fern Marshall Bradley and Jane Courtier

2. Gardening All-In-One For Dummies

3. Month by Month Gardening in Georgia

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lettuce Lady said:
Steve Soloman's Gardening when it counts is my favorite. It just covers veggies and assumes you're gardening to save money so he doesn't tell you to buy a bunch of stuff. I just finished reading it cover to cover. I also like The garden primer as a general reference.
I thought that Gardening When It Counts sounded interesting so I went to Ebay to look. Holy Moly! That book might tell you haw to garden cheaply but it sure isn't cheap to buy! lol

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Liberty7 said:
I have tons of gardening books; however, my favorite is 'Crockett's Victory Garden, 1977, by James Underwood Crockett (companion to the old PBS TV series, "Victory Garden.")
Amem Amen Amen most deffinately JUC's books are the best but might be out of print...He had a month by month schedule of what need doing when Wonderful book

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Liberty7 said:
I have tons of gardening books; however, my favorite is 'Crockett's Victory Garden, 1977, by James Underwood Crockett (companion to the old PBS TV series, "Victory Garden.")
Amem Amen Amen most deffinately JUC's books are the best but might be out of print...He had a month by month schedule of what need doing when Wonderful book
Is this the same guy who had "The Victory Garden" on PBS? I loved that show!

Latest posts