Do you keep recipts?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure why but I have alot of things die this winter. Most are covered for a year under guaranty. Problem is almost every place will want the recipt which I can understand. I don't have a filing system and just put them in drawers. I can never find one when I need it. How do you keep your recipts?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just get a manila envelope and label it "Plant Receipts." Then when you get a new plant, staple the tag to the receipt and slip it in the envelope. You might want to find a place to keep it near your gardening supplies, for easy access.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm? Well, I have receipts for the year in a drawer. At the end of the year they go into a folder in the files.

My problem is not warranties but figuring out what I did, when. With gardening receipts dating back 20 years, I am sometimes surprised to look back and learn what I was growing "back then!" The problem is remembering something but not remembering the year.

Just yesterday, DW was telling me that she wants something that we've had before. Yes, I can even remember where it came from but "when" is the question. Short of going thru multiple file folders with handfuls of receipts - what's my alternative? Sheesh! Sometimes saving things presents more problems.

I have an account with most seed companies that I do business with. However, only a few have "account histories" :/. I think more will do that in the future, hopefully. I do have some saved email information from them from a few years past but not all of the seed companies send out detailed receipts in their emails! Besides, I still have to remember which company and when to avoid a lengthy, frustrating search :rolleyes:.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 3-inch binder that I keep all my [plant and seed] receipts and orders in. It goes back to the early (nearly 40) years at this house. All the records are filed alphabetically by company and the newest receipts are in front of the earlier ones by date.

I can always find out what I SHOULD have growing in the yard even if I can't where or if it is growing.

edited to add [plant and seed]

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate papers and more often than not, will throw receipts and any other thing laying around, in the garbage! I know I am terrible, and it drives Dh crazy!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Occasionally I come across a grocery receipt from a few years back. I like to torture myself by checking the prices of "then" against "now." Also, I found a receipt for a CBC blood test from 10 years ago. I paid cash, $17.50. These days, that same test is $127.00, cash. Yep, it's fun to keep receipts! :(

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am fairly good about it. You can get plant and seed replacement for things that do not grow well. I have misplaced my Mantis tiller receipt. It has a 5 year warrantee and I know it has not expired. Of course it is the only thing I did not register online. Still looking for it-too expensive to bother fixing but, Mantis would repair it for free. I cannot live with out it so I ordered one today. If I do find the receipt I will fix it and give it to my daughter. They have lasted a long time for me in the past until this last one.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't keep them. I used to, till I realized that the things that don't grow well I've thrown everything at to try to keep them going so they make it to year 3 or 4 before going kaput. Its a slow creep towards the end rather than a fast thud and I can take it back. So I stopped saving them because of that.

I thought I was all smart a few times I saved the receipt dug it out only to find it was past its warranty time and it was finally saying "just let me go you but thank you for all your efforts. Ill remember you and put in a good word with Saint Pete ok?"

So now I just yank them up, grumble about it, and move on.

earlybird10842

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We keep the receipt to everything...if it is something small we keep it on the fridge for a week or two, if it is a major item, especially with a warrenty.

Latest posts