do you kno what kind of tree this might be

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
it has the hyge thorns like a citrus

the leaves do not smell of citrus but it has been neglected and left out in 30 degree weather

the people who gave it to me had no clue what is was

it has been growing int his huge pot in south carolina

it is about 6ft tall in the pot

6521_photo-0032.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't quite tell from that pic- and not sure about the thorns- but it looks a lot like my passion flower???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not passion flower! It looked more like a vine in the close up...I'm sure some southern gardener will identify it!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy that has me scratching my head. It looks so familiar but I can't place it. I might make a guess that it's the wild type citrus that is used as a rootstock for dwarf lemons but don't swear by it. The top graft may have died off and left the rootstock growing.

ADDED TO SAY: Aha, the memory just kicked in. Flying Dragon citrus. An all but inedible citrus used almost exclusively for dwarf citrus rootstock. It has that sprawly type growth and the three lobed leaf. I knew I'd get it. Been too long since my nursery days or I would have gotten it sooner.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
maybe a honey locust or prairie crabapple you think

if it is what you think will it produce anything

hoodat said:
Boy that has me scratching my head. It looks so familiar but I can't place it. I might make a guess that it's the wild type citrus that is used as a rootstock for dwarf lemons but don't swear by it. The top graft may have died off and left the rootstock growing.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
each stem has three leaves in an alternate pattern

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
maybe a honey locust or prairie crabapple you think

if it is what you think will it produce anything

hoodat said:
See my amended post above. It will produce small bitter fruit that is all but inedible except for some exotic types of Oriental cooking.

Latest posts