Do you prefer seeds or plants?

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have always planted by seed, but I'm interested in what you think.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm with you, tomatokate. I like the value (how many plants I can get for how much money), but I also like the availability of more varieties. And also, I really like the experience of seeing a big beautiful plant grow from a teeny little seed!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd love to use all plants if I could get them for the same price as seeds and get the varieties I can get in seeds. :lol: ...dream on!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I'm with you, tomatokate. I like the value (how many plants I can get for how much money), but I also like the availability of more varieties. And also, I really like the experience of seeing a big beautiful plant grow from a teeny little seed!
ARGEED!!!!!!!

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm all about saving my seed and planting it. That way I can reminisce while I'm planting "ah, I knew you're mother and she was a beautiful, tasty red tomato, I ate her with a good chianti and some fava beans...."

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy seeds and I plant seeds. I also buy plants. As much as I love seeds I really like the already started plants. No fuss no worries. I am like a half and halfer.

On the other hand that is cause I have had trouble getting seeds started.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I'm all about saving my seed and planting it. That way I can reminisce while I'm planting "ah, I knew you're mother and she was a beautiful, tasty red tomato, I ate her with a good chianti and some fava beans...."
:yuckyuck :gig

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i like growing from seeds. I like watching plants progress from seed to sprout to flower and fruit. Its about as close as we come to magic in this world.

gumpsgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I like growing everything from seeds, whether I start them indoors early or whether I plant them directly in the garden outdoors.

I will purchase a started plant every once in a while (mostly flowers), but not very often.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It depends on how much I have going on at the time that I should be starting all my seeds indoors.
If I have all of my seeds ordered and in early enough and can get them started then thats great but if the time comes to planting outside and I don't have everything I need I will go out and buy some started plants if need be.
I like that I can fall back on those and still have what I want for the growing season.
There are also some things that do better here if they are already a nice big healthy size to start out with.
I do love the variety I get with the seeds and I try all sorts of things that I can't get at the garden centers.
I love funky looking squash and I use them in my fall displays.
I just bought some heirloom seeds from a vendor(nice couple) at a chicken swap last week and they also offer the service of calling them up and ordering seedlings in advance.
They will start seedlings for you to your specs. so you can have whatever type of heirloom veggies/flowers you want already started for you.
Its a nice service if you want those types of veggies and don't want the hassle of starting them all.
There slogan was something like "we will start your seeds for you so your living room won't look like ours"
They are from New Hampshire so if I ordered from them I would be able to get the seedlings from them at the chickens swaps that I go to there.
I am going to keep it in mind for next year if I get too busy.
This month has been crazy with the new chicken coop being built, the new garden house being built, I have a guy out there taking down an 80 foot tree right now and my husband is planting some new shrubs we bought yesterday. I have someone coming to discuss a new fence in an hour.
I have to get off the computer and call the loam company down the street to get them to drop off a few more yards of loam/compost.
I love them, I can call up and they will be at my house in 15 minutes. I am on the same street as them and know the owners so they hook me up at the last minute.
I ordered 3 yards last week but went through it so quick. I figured after the 15 yards I got last summer that we would be in good shape but we keep adding to the gardens.
So having said all that, this is where its good to be able to get some started plants if you get too busy and forget to start your seeds ontime.
I do have quite a bit going already, the tomatoes are doing great but I need to start more today.
It would be nice to not have to buy any started plants from the nursery so I can spend more money on shrubs this year.

Does anyone have any good seed saving tips?
Actually, I will start another thread for that.