Do you think this will work!?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am going to Washington in July, late July to be exact. I want to take clippings of some blackberry vines and bring them home and try getting them to take root. Will this work like it does with like, a pothos plant where I just put it in a vase of water till it sprouts roots? If I clipped them the night before I fly out and keep them wrapped in damp paper towels/plastic baggies they should transport fine right? Is this even a plausible idea?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but the blackberry vines are pretty strong willed and take goats to keep them at bay. We had some very cold weather this season and yet, I see those vines going strong.

My vote is do it :thumbsup , what can you loose? Then post your findings!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think rooting blackberry canes would be closely similar to rooting a rose bush cane. Try coating with rooting hormone and just placing the cane in the dirt. I think that is the way it should be done.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL well goats we have! I figure if rhubarb grows here as well as it does in WA then blackberries will be able to as well.

I will look into that rooting stuff, it sounds like you may be correct on just pasting that stuff on and sticking them in the ground. I think some reading is in order!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement I am really excited to try this and its not like theres a shortage of vines in WA for me to take clippings from haha!!!!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
After a teeny bit of research I see that they are quite easy to root after cutting! I am going to bring back a bunch, hooray!

Daydreamer

Sprout
Reaction score
As a former Puget Sounder I would advise --- Be careful what you wish for! Those blackberries are very prolific and evil with their thorns. But the berries are great. Plant them where you have a lot of room.:)

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Considering that we are constantly fighting them back, I am sure you will be successful. They root wherever they touch the ground. So you might be able to find some short ones that have started to root, in order to improve your success rate.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL having lived in rural Lewis County WA for many years I am counting on the prolific evilness of these easy rooting vines! Am pretty used to climbing thru them with minimal perforation during harvest :) And we have goats.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good luck! We didn't prune ours last year and they went a little nuts! We've got about 4 times our usual harvest this year! We've been picking and freezing as quickly as possible. They sure are delicious!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you have got to start by thinking like a blackberry..........!! :lol: :lol: :gig

Us blackberries grow babies by putting our heads in the earth so you will have to do the same!

Seriously -- look for ALREADY ROOTED TIPS. There is obviously something that happens in the canes system that switches the root-making process on. At this time of the year you should have no problem finding these! :D

My beloved Granma who taught me to take cuttings said " Look at how the plant does it". She could get cuttings to grow of virtually anything. :love I just wish she hadn't died when I was so young -- I could have learnt so much more from her! -- in every way. :bow :bouquet

Good luck with your quest! :fl :fl :thumbsup

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts