does any one dry their food

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a food dehydrator and wonder what everyone else uses...which one do you have and why...price is a factor

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked mine up at a garage sale- maybe 5 bucks... I love it. It is not fancy, but it works great. Has 4 or 5 trays. Great for cherry tomatoes- we eat them all winter, on pizza, etc. Check out your local thrifts, garage sales, craigslist, etc. If you have never dehydrated before and you just want to try it- you can dehydrate in your car! You need to leave the windows cracked, for ventilation- but many people use this method. No electricity needed! Good luck!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa

lucky you finding it at a garage sale... I will try the car method as soon as the sun comes back out...[we got some much needed rain over night and my rain barrels are full again] I have parsley and oregano and sage to dry and soon tons of tomatoes

Joan
What is the brand name of your dehydrator???
It seems we have a lot in common I love to read, garden and raise chickens...I loved your blog especially the quilt show as I am a quilter and always love to see what everyone else is doing...you have a very interesting and informitive blog I added it to my favorites

Pam - momofdrew

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is a Nesco by American Harvest. It had 4 trays and you can buy extra ones so I have 8 which is the maximum. I found it works best if you rotate the trays once in awhile during the drying process so they dry more evenly. It may take longer with 8 trays but not twice as long so I'm saving power.

I got the square one instead of the round one for more surface area. I also bought the plastic screens to use for herbs (although they only have round ones) It keeps smaller pieces from falling through.

For your sage, I would suggest hang to dry as it took much too long in the dehydrator. See my blog for drying by hanging. http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/2011/08/drying-herbs.html

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can dry the oregano, just by hanging it upside down somewhere dry. I do mine in the attic and it comes out perfect.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks to you both I will try the different methods suggested...

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have an excaliber dehydrator-5 tray with a timer...love the timer. Excalibers are not cheap but I really love mine. I dry bananas, tomatoes, peppers, fruits. If your in to prepping, easy to dehydrate frozen hash brnwpotatoes, frozen vegies. I love dehydrating and, if you do it right, the food lasts a very long time. Rehydrating is not hard and the result tastes pretty good.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found a Nesco dehydrator at Goddwill for $5.99. It even had the fruit leather tray liner in it :D

I tried a batch of zucchini chips and they taste ok. I just don't like them with the lemon pepper I sprinkled on top. I can still toss them in soups. I will just have to experiment with the seasonings.

I am also drying tomatoes. MUCH easier than trying to dry them outside. While I am in an dry climate, we still get weird little rain showers at random times. I had a heck of a time getting them dry last year and even lost a batch or two. I just tried a yellow plum tomato and it was so yummy :D

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found this on my local craigslist. Is it a good price?

American Harvest 6-Tray Food Dehydrator - $35

White American Harvest 6-Tray Electric Food Dehydrator, Model 50/30

550 Watts
Has thermostat and fan on bottom
Instruction book
Good condition
$35.00, Cash only

Thanks, Melissa

Latest posts