does any one dry their food

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No picture, but it says model 50/30, which I cannot find anywhere. I just hate to buy one for $35 and its older than I am, lol. Not that I wouldn't buy an old one, but I wouldn't pay $35 for it.

Thanks, Melissa

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just dry my food in the car. I don't do meats... but I do dry garlic chips, tomatoes, apples and figs. My car in August is better then an oven!!

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I dry everything! I have some grapes that were gettng a little old and am now turning them into raisins. :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
I just dry my food in the car. I don't do meats... but I do dry garlic chips, tomatoes, apples and figs. My car in August is better then an oven!!
Vfem, do you have problems with humidity when you dry things in your car? How thin do you cut your tomatoes? Do you use any seasoning on them? I dried tomatoes in the back window of my car, but it took 3 days to do it, and still had to finish some of them in a low oven. Am I doing something wrong? Temperature was not a problem; I had the windows halfway down to keep the temp below 150.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
vfem said:
Vfem, do you have problems with humidity when you dry things in your car? How thin do you cut your tomatoes? Do you use any seasoning on them? I dried tomatoes in the back window of my car, but it took 3 days to do it, and still had to finish some of them in a low oven. Am I doing something wrong? Temperature was not a problem; I had the windows halfway down to keep the temp below 150.
I never crack my windows when I dry in the car, I leave the vent tab over to exterior air flow option so I know they are open. I do cherry tomatoes and just cut them in half, takes 2-3 days depending on the humidity. (Another reason to leave the windows closed, you're letting humidity in.) I've done a few roma's before and seeding them was good because they dried about a day after the cherry tomatoes. Garlic chips only take a day or less actually, figs take as long as the tomatoes do. Apples as round thin slices have been done in 2 days. I have had to finish off some in the oven before with the temp set at 110-150 and that finished them off in about 2-3 hours.

Monday I have a bucket full of cherry tomatoes to move out there and apples will be ready in a couple weeks to go out there too. Once September hits I'm done using the car. :p

I got some photos and steps we took listed on my blog back in August 2010.

Latest posts