Does anyone have a favorite com-poster??

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm looking for one to use for my chicken "poop" and all around composting... I've heard the roll around ones are good...
Pat :watering

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I prefer the ground. I would go broke trying to deal with bins. I think many bins are counterproductive. A good bin lets the compost come in direct contact with the ground and all the beneficial organisms and worms it has to offer imo.

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you mean the ground ground???

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
By the roll around ones, I presume your meaning the tumbler type? There are plans available to make your own which can be found on the internet. Probably a more economical way to have one, as some of the retail type tumblers seem pretty pricey.

The ground that 1acrefarm is mentioning is the ground.:) This would be your standard compost heap, built of wood, wire, or a plastic barrel. The debris sits on the ground, there is no floor. This allows access, as he mentions, to the worms, and bacteria that helps break down the debris.

The tumbler type, if all the proper conditions are met, can be good, and fast. The mix of green, and dry debris, moisture content, and the addition of some regular soil to the tumbler are crucial to get it to "work" correctly. There is a limit to how much they will hold as well, which can play a factor in their usefulness. Some studying on creating the perfect conditions would be worth while if you went to this type.

Not to say that a ground based compost heap doesn't need the proper conditions too. I think that they can be more forgiving though, as time is a crucial element here, where as a tumbler type is designed for fast turn around.

Latest posts